stick welding aluminium

Hi all

i am trying to stick weld a aluminium cylinder head. problem is i cant get any penetration at all, the aluminium from the stick melts, but hardly any heat goes into the casting, so the aluminium is dropped on the workpiece.

I am using 3,5 mm AWS A5.3 E 4047 (din EL AlSi5 ) electrodes and a DC welder (actually my tig welder) , reversing the polarity made no difference. anybody tried stick welding aluminium? I am a bit at loss what to change, may be drop the power , to slow the melting of the stick? or pre heating the part? may be using even thicker electrodes?? the welder is a old fashioned huge transformer type, so more power isnt a problem.

i managed pretty decent welds on pieces of aluminium scrap 3 mm thick, just cant seem to get any burn in with bigger parts.

cheers hubert

Reply to
hubert

thick, just

You are setting yourself a difficult task there ! All the heat is being sucked into the relatively cool aluminium head which has a far higher thermal capacity than your 3mm test piece. You >>may

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

You do have to preheat thicker aluminum before you can stick weld it. I've seen it work on 1/4" aluminum. I think it was preheated in the 200 to 400 deg F range. I don't know anything about doing it for an aluminium cylinder head however.

Reply to
Curt Welch

Stick welding aluminum heads is a no go. Tig them if at all possible, mig as a last resort, with a thorough pre heat not not just a guick pass with a torch. I own a cylinder head shop and weld them often. Lamar

Reply to
wbutler

Andrew,

Doesn't aluminum also require AC? (Ignore the fact that he's trying to weld a cylinder head)

I d>

Reply to
jp2express

aware

'solution

Conventionally yes

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I tried stick welding aluminum, the result was a good looking weld that was COMPLETELY unsatisfactory. It was porous, like a bagel, and very weak.

Ignoramus2168

"Ignoramus2168" schreef in bericht news:X_qdnTMj-J_NgBTbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

the welding on the small pieces was amazingly good, but as i mentioned , welding on a bigger part was less succesfull. i had a look at the box from the welding sticks, they should be used with DC, positive side to the stick. unfortunately no mention of pre heating , or recommended power. next i will try pre heating the part, and see what happens..

i know this job should be done with a TIG, ,but my (dc) tig welder doesnt weld aluminium... and i have to add a lot of metal to change the shape of a combustion chamber, filling a combustion chamber with weld would probably take ages with a TIG welder...

thanks for all the answers.. i'll keep you posted..

cheers, Hubert

Reply to
hubert

MIG would come handy in this case. But still preheating, no way without it.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

You can tig it with DC. Gotta be anal about cleanliness, run it DC straight and stop when you have to and brush the oxide off with a stainless brush.

One of my old books says, concerning welding/brazing up combustion chambers, to figure the volume you wish to add in length of filler rod and scratch this length on the rod- put the same length of rod in each chamber and you've raised the compression in each cylinder equally.

John

Reply to
JohnM

That may be true for modern engines but volkswagen heads were aluminum and frequently cracked between the valve seats and thousands have been repaired by welding. But you are certainly correct in saying they are a highly efficient heat sink.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

Stick welding aluminum is DCEP, if I remember correctly.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

That is you =:-( Thousand of Frohof (spelling) trailers were stick welded before the days of MIG.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

That would be Fruehauf.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Hi all,

I don't know much about welding ! and I came accross this name HTS2000 stick for braze. I just wonder these guys that use HTS2000 have to say about welding a cylinder head. You could check out the HTS2000 on the web.

Ciao and have fun

Reply to
Linh Hien Nguyen

a relapse from overexertion, but complete rest and intense urine therapy led to an excellent recovery. But why put your-self through that ordeal and risk the chance of seriously undermining your body's hard-won repair work?

Assiduous urine therapy can give you such renewed vigor and energy, that it's easy to become overconfident and overdo, which, is not a huge problem for normal people. But for people recovering from major illnesses, exhaustion can pose a life-long threat, so protect your new- found health and your natural immune defenses with lots of rest, fresh air, moderate exercise and minimized stress.

Kidney Disorders

If you have a history or presence of a kidney infection, limit the initial amount of oral urine therapy you take to small doses such as

1-5 drops once or twice a day, or use a homeopathic dilution as described in the section on. Homeopathy and Urine Therapy in this chapter. Decrease or eliminate meat ingestion. and acid-forming foods before beginning the therapy. Also, check your acidity levels with pH strips, and begin urine therapy when your acid levels have normalized or decreased substantially.

Allergies In the clinical research studies done on urine therapy and allergies, practitioners such as Dunne and Wilson used oral drops with excellent' results. Refer to these studies for directions and again, begin with one or two drops and then gradually increase the number of drops, or as Wilson suggests, take the drops until you can no longer sense the urine taste or temperature. If you know what your allergies are, take the drops before eating a food that you're allergic to; if you don't know what you're allergic to, take several drops of fresh urine immediately upon the appearance of symptoms, and repeat this met

Reply to
Curt Welch