Braze or Tig?

I am making a speed shooting target setup for semi-automatic air rifle. I
am using 16ga steel 3" squares attached to 5ga steel wire. Would you Tig or
Braze the parts together? I know the lead pellets should work harden the
joint so which process will hold up better over the long run?
Reply to
Harry
Braze. The brazing alloy will give you excellent tensile strength, and flow to fill in the "rounds" of the wire. -Mike
Reply to
mlcorson
Being a target maker I would TIG or MIG it. Brazing might not stand up under repeated impacts.
Glad you are talking air - I assume that anyway - Normally air is done in 1/8" or 11 ga. but anything goes out of the competition arena.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Harry wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Thanks for your thoughts Martin.

This is what I am trying to duplicate as far as the target is concerned. I am troubled that .125 steel would have too much inertia for a co2 rifle to knock it down? What can you tell me about this? Do you have anything close to the Crossman target?
Thanks
> Being a target maker I would TIG or MIG it. > Brazing might not stand up under repeated impacts. > > Glad you are talking air - I assume that anyway - > Normally air is done in 1/8" or 11 ga. but anything goes out of > the competition arena. > > Martin > > Martin H. Eastburn > @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net > TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. > NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder > IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >
> > Harry wrote: >> I am making a speed shooting target setup for semi-automatic air rifle. >> I am using 16ga steel 3" squares attached to 5ga steel wire. Would you >> Tig or Braze the parts together? I know the lead pellets should work >> harden the joint so which process will hold up better over the long run? >> >> > >
Reply to
Harry
When I was a kiddo, I always used tin cans! :)
"Harry" wrote:
Reply to
jp2express
I used Necco candy wafers. One inch diameter and they shatter when hit.
Reply to
Stupendous Man
He is the president of IHMSA - and a fellow target blaster and maker. He does air targets.
Here are some of his ideas linked off his main page.
I do 1/10" on feet tiny things! I've thought of making some out of 1/2" AR400 for taking care of ties on the range. Just let the big bore - .454 and such - hit one out with theirs!
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Harry wrote: > Thanks for your thoughts Martin. > > > >
> > > This is what I am trying to duplicate as far as the target is concerned. > I am troubled that .125 steel would have too much inertia for a co2 rifle to > knock it down? What can you tell me about this? Do you have anything close > to the Crossman target? > > Thanks > > > > >
>> Being a target maker I would TIG or MIG it. >> Brazing might not stand up under repeated impacts. >> >> Glad you are talking air - I assume that anyway - >> Normally air is done in 1/8" or 11 ga. but anything goes out of >> the competition arena. >> >> Martin >> >> Martin H. Eastburn >> @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net >> TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. >> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder >> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >>
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I like the tent around it - helps trap and if you place a tarp on the ground then you have them there to pick up.
We don't allow BB's - as they bounce back (punch out your eye... Red Ryder bit in actual.).
One the range only pellet is allowed.
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

jp2express wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
And they come with their own adhesive. Lick and stick.
Gunner, who uses oyster crackers cause the birds and critters have to eat too. And they are smaller
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Lazarus Long
Reply to
Gunner
Ive both launched and utterly folded up more than a few poorly made targets with my 357 Herret out of the 14" barrel.
The 44 magnum makes em tip over...the Herret makes em vanish
Gunner
> >Martin H. Eastburn >@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net >TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. >NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder >IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >
> >Harry wrote: >> Thanks for your thoughts Martin. >> >> >> >>
>>> Being a target maker I would TIG or MIG it. >>> Brazing might not stand up under repeated impacts. >>> >>> Glad you are talking air - I assume that anyway - >>> Normally air is done in 1/8" or 11 ga. but anything goes out of >>> the competition arena. >>> >>> Martin >>> >>> Martin H. Eastburn >>> @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net >>> TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. >>> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder >>> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >>>
Reply to
Gunner
I went to a range - state finals - and saw a big bore blow the target off the foot. - it actually sheared 1/4" above the weld.
Being a science type - I understood the problem. It was a constant issue there when hot loads were used.
When the weld fails or a break / shear occurs - weld again - using 10018 IIRC - and then when the stick comes off the metal - dump in water. The armor or high quality steel - was heat treated for hardness. When dumped into water it water treats it back to something like the old BHN.
Haven't heard of the issue at the range since - but it might be still going on. It isn't local.

Gunner wrote: > > >>
>> He is the president of IHMSA - and a fellow target blaster and maker. >> He does air targets. >> >> Here are some of his ideas linked off his main page. >> >> I do 1/10" on feet tiny things! I've thought of making some out >> of 1/2" AR400 for taking care of ties on the range. Just let the >> big bore - .454 and such - hit one out with theirs! >> >> >> Martin > > Ive both launched and utterly folded up more than a few poorly made > targets with my 357 Herret out of the 14" barrel. > > The 44 magnum makes em tip over...the Herret makes em vanish > > Gunner > >> Martin H. Eastburn >> @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net >> TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. >> NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder >> IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. >>
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I love 110-18 rods. They are expensive, but for hard surfacing the edge of a front end loader bucket or making a very strong weld, they are so easy to use.
Reply to
Wudsracer
from somebody else can safely be adminis-tered. If possible, use the urine from somebody of the same sex. Different hormones can be found in the urine from a male than in that of a female. For certain illnesses, it seems to be beneficial to ingest the urine from children. The urine from a child is often very pure, especially if the child follows a healthy diet. In some cases, the urine fron a child can also be used in the external massage application for the seriously ill who cannot produce enough of their own urine.
Urine from different people usually does not differ much in its ingredlents, which is why the urine from one person will also to some extent work for somebody else. However, your own urine contains personal, characteristic substances and provides the particular information the body needs in order to carry out the healing process as effectively as possible.
In general, it is no problem to combine urine therapy with any other form of natural treatment. This also applies to the use of nutritional supplements as long as they are natural. One should refrain from any chemically manufactured supplements. Experience has shown that the use of vitamin supplements in combination with the practise of urine therapy can considerably cut down the amount of supplements you need to take, because of the recycling effect. Many substances, such as vitamins and enzymes, act as carriers for other. Urine therapy can also be seen as a form of self--vaccination: certain bodily substances which have been removed from the body, some of which may have been produced as a result of illness, are rein-troduced into the body in small amounts. These substances are reabsorbed into the blood through either the intestines or the skin. According to this hypothesis, the immune system is then given the chance to react appropriately.
In the early nineteenth century, Dr. Charles Duncan conducted research into therapies with self-produced substa
Reply to
Gunner