pellet rifle; make copper or iron equal to lead

I own several BB rifles to control rabbit overpopulation. I would like to have pellet rifles but refuse to buy any because the pellets are all
lead. I refuse to pollute the environment with lead.
So I am wondering how easy it would be to configure a copper or steel pellet such that it has the qualities of lead pellet in being softer. So what do I have to alloy steel or copper such that it approximates or equals the ability of lead pellet.
I would like a pellet rifle that shoots supersonic speed and that shoots some NON-lead pellet.
In fact, I believe the US government EPA should make a law that gets lead out of the consumers market where it cannot be recycled. Lead in batteries is fine because we can recycle those items but in sports, lead is a detriment to the environment.
Archimedes Plutonium, a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies
Generally, in chemistry when you alloy one metal with another the result is a harder metal. I suppose it is difficult to get a copper or steel alloy that is as soft as lead for lead shot in rifles.
But I wonder if there is another way around the problem by coating a copper pellet with teflon or in the case of .22 rifles to make a steel bullet coated with teflon or some other material that equals the characteristics of lead.
A.P.
Dear Archimedes Plutonium:

is
copper
Done. Used for penetrating kevlar jackets. Of course the heat will tend to liberate a little fluorine...
You could do like the Germans purportedly did in WWII. Make the bullets out of wood.
David A. Smith
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com \(formerly\) (dlzc1.cox@net) wrote: : Dear Archimedes Plutonium:
:
Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

I'd suggest a .410 shotgun with steel shot.
A slingshot with steel balls might just work fine.
Or get a bow. Takes lots of practice, however.
Enjoy the bunnies. Roasted, barbecued, or stewed?
--
Phil Hays

Bismuth based ammo is now available. Soft and dense like lead but non-toxic to the environment.
--
-Mike

Michael Moroney ( snipped-for-privacy@world.std.spaamtrap.com) wrote: : Bismuth based ammo is now available. Soft and dense like lead but : non-toxic to the environment.
You can also try tungsten polymer if you're rich.
-- -- William "Dave" Thweatt Robert E. Welch Postdoctoral Fellow Chemistry Department Rice University Houston, TX snipped-for-privacy@ruf.rice.edu snipped-for-privacy@us.army.mil
Use .17 mm tungsten carbide rod and figure our what length you could bet an high velocity and sabot the round leaving a tag on the end to help stabiles it more. If you could get a 1.5 inch bullet at 900fps you would have great range and if you hit him the bullet would shatter and do a fine job killing the rabbit
Gordon

I agree that lead is an issue. One of my nephews was permanently affected by the lead paint he ate as a child.
Why do you want supersonic speed?
Bob
"hanson" wrote a bunch more crap:
You don't drive a car, do you?

If I has been interested in responding to that I'd have responded to Uncle Al's post.
Whats about using uranium munitions? they contain no lead, they are heavier than lead, they kill equal (and more likely more better) as lead. Uranium munitions are used with great success to stop tank invasions..............
Ask your local military base for more informations.............. Plutonium will also work either................