confusion over portland-cement curing with freezing

I am building my own concrete block garage and trying to get some work
done before winter finally ends my work year. I knew that Saturday night
was going to get cold and drop below 32 F and during the day it was only
in the 40s F. But I went ahead anyway to mortar some joints.
I know they lay concrete and cement all year round by building heat
tents on job sites. But I wonder as to the curing process of mortar?
Does it take as long as concrete? And what are the working parameters of
mortar and cold temperatures?
I know that in the curing of cement that it releases heat itself and am
wondering how low of a temperature below 32 F that it begins to damage
the mortar cement in curing.
Archimedes Plutonium, a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies
Reply to
Archimedes Plutonium
Archimedes Plutonium schrieb:
[laying concrete at low temperatures]
Do a search for "cold weather concrete" ... or have a look at:

Andrea
Reply to
Andrea Glatthor
Some years ago, I had a new garage put up. Between the alley and the garage there was a 24-30 inch wide strip where weeds grew in profusion. I had concrete laid there, but it was Novemberish (Minnesota) and the temperature got below freezing but with full sunlight the next day the temps went up to around 40-45. The following spring I noticed several spots, 6-8 inches in size, where irregular surface spalling occurred. I theorized that curing proceded irregularily and where weak a thin water layer could freeze more easily causing spalling fracture thin zones. Lesson - use a tent and artificial heat source uniformally distributed during the 24 hours following laying of concrete AND DO NOT flood with water.
Reply to
Jack Ferman