tentative-proof that Fiberglass is relatively harmless

Subject: tentative-proof that Fiberglass is relatively harmless Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:05:39 -0500
Last I heard of fiberglass as a potential carcinogen was that Germany researchers and Europe was implicating fiberglass as a carcinogen but that the results were preliminary.
I am going to offer a sort of commonsense approach to the question of whether fiberglass is a carcinogen or not. I suppose anything in overexcess or overquantity is harmful. But the fact is that fiberglass is silica which is that of "sand" and humans have been in close contact with sand in the environment for as old as human species itself.
So the commonsense argument would be that if fiberglass is carcinogenic is almost tantamount to saying that people who live where sand dust is blown around is a carcinogenic environment.
The body has means of getting rid of sand, unlike asbestos that once inside the body is almost impossible to get it out. And sand does not cut up the cells unlike the sharp fibers of asbestos.
The commonsense argument in favor of fiberglass is that lungs have evolved for 10s or even 100s of millions of years to deal with sand intake into the body and since fiberglass is a form of sand, then it should be relatively harmless.
Archimedes Plutonium, a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Any fibrous material that enters the lungs is bad for them. Cotton, wool, inorganic fibres, all have deleterious effects. These are not necessarily carcinogenic.
The German approach was to formulate insulation glass fibres so that they dissolved in the pulmonary fluids, rather than remain as fibrous bodies. The specification was known as KI-40.
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk /
Terry Harper wrote:

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

There has been medical research for at least a century on the effects of fibrous materials on the lungs, be that material cotton or an inorganic like asbestos or very fine glass fibres. If you want to do scientific research, why not read up the literature on what has been done already before you start hares running?
--
Terry Harper
http://www.terry.harper.btinternet.co.uk /

like
All AP can run is his mouth and he hasn't read the operator's manual for that.
Gordon

research,
That's a good way to put it! Archie is somewhat naive but he does help keep ng's juices flowing ;) Frank

IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer, I believe) had declared fiberglass wool a 2 B carcinogen but backed down to class 3. OSHA still requires warning but is non-specific. Any inhaled material that is not expelled or dissolves in lungs can be harmfull. Frank

Further NTP (National Toxicology Program) has listed. Unfortunately their site is tought to search an Googling leads to secondary sources. Use of cas number is not specific enough either. Frank
Subject: Re: tentative-proof that Fiberglass is relatively harmless Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 03:18:12 -0500 From:
Frank Logullo wrote:

whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

declared
There is a lot of stuff out there. Here's a first Google hit: http://annhyg.oupjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/45/3/193 Frank
(snipped what I wrote)

I don't think that report is sound in that the smokers were amoung the statistics.
I am not saying that an environment of silicon dust or fibers is nonharmful. I am saying that the millions of years of evolution of the human lung is able to cope in a sand-silica dust storms.
I was asking for a report as to whether geography of sand dust storm regions of the Earth have a higher rate of Lung cancer than does other regions. I was not asking for a report on people in an artificial environment of purified silica.
Too much of anything in purity maybe cancerous. Maybe if one breathes high purity oxygen is likely to come down with lung cancer. Anyone done a test on whether lung cancer is initiated by breathing pure oxygen?
Archimedes Plutonium whole entire Universe is just one big atom where dots of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

I think you missed my point. There is a lot of data out there and it is up to you to find it. Frank