first TIG experience

I started a TIG class over at local fab shop. It was pretty interesting. Nobody else showed up so it was a couple hours of one-on-one. The instructor went over the machine setup (pretty much like MIG) and we took a torch apart, sharpened the electrodes and practiced just making puddles in 16 guage steel over and over again. Then we did some work with the feed wire just pressing it into the puddle with no feed, then some dabbing of the feed wire to make the "stack of dimes" beads.

I was sent home with a piece of wire to practice feeding with left and right hands for next session. The smell of the process is pleasant to me- it's obviously similar to other electrical discharge machinery.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I envy you. Have wanted to try TIG for a long time. Blew my chance when I was still in High School. They just got in the new TIG machine when I was a teachers assistant and they didn't have the electric wiring setup good enough to hold it when I looked it over. Now I know I should have pestered, bugged my teacher a bit so I could try it out...

If you can handle/watch youtube stuff be sure to look at Jody's videos:

I don't have a TIG machine (yet anyway) but I enjoy watching all of his videos. I always pickup some new little nugget of knowledge for just welding in general.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I'll second that , watch Jody's videos . He has one series devoted to telling what all those knobs on the TIG machine are for that's especially helpful .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

That's the same guy the instructor says he watches when he wants to learn more. I was also told to watch Jody's stuff.

My current youtube machinist favorites are

Keith Fenner
Tom Liptop

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I watched Fenner's Broke It Off , I'd have just shattered the ez-out with a punch and picked the pieces out , installed a timesert or helicoil and been done with it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've wondered what the unedited times are to fixture get everything and get setup to go in these videos. It may not have been too much different in the end. Other folks do seem to opt for the helicoil in similar type videos.

I tried to braze build something years ago with an oxyacetylene torch. The results were pretty awful. Should give it another try again if the flux covered rod is even still good anymore.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

You should check out Jody's latest video posted earlier today (if you haven't already):

He shows how you can easily cut, polish and etch a weld cross section to see how well it penetrated and such. He used oven cleaner for the etch but I remember in another of his videos he used naval jelly.

Something I plan on doing someday if/when I ever get back to running my welders...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I wholeheartedly agree. Jody is a seemingly bottomless pit of knowledge and a really good teacher, too. It's uncommon to find both in a single individual.

The only big problem with his videos is that Jon Banquer is a big fan. Be careful of the company you keep.

Just sayin'

Reply to
rangerssuck