first tig project

First time ever with the tig yesterday and today. I have a pretty good "feel" so far but I have a ways to go. I found some scrap 1/4" round stock and a chunk of sheet metal and made this little useless table thingy. I used very little filler rod, just tried to heat the metal so it joined together. Fun!

of a use for it besides a small candle or change holder. walt

Reply to
wallster

It is kind of ...cute.

Not bad for a first project though.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Walt - the table is a little stunner, but I have to ask how you made the fork? :)

Reply to
Mike Clayton

Beauty.

Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

lol, needed the fork for scale... and a piece of pie. ; )

Reply to
wallster

cool !!

firtst thing popped in my mind when I saw the little table ;

cat food commertial for those very fancy cats that only eat moist canned food. and only eat off of a stainless steel table he-hheeeh

i am still wating to see one of those cats loose, when I am walking my dog..... attack boy... attack !!!!

legal disclamer: no cats were harmed during the write up of this post.

:-)

Reply to
acrobat-ants

At one time I took a night school welding course. We wefre given a very interesting exercise byt the instructor. This was O/A but could be done with TIG just as well. The purpose of the exercise was to practice puddle control while getting good fusion.

Start off with a piece of (say) 1/8" thick mild steel about 3" square. Make a puddle in the middle. Now start to build up the puddle into a rod. When it gets to be a few inches long, branch out into two directions. Build them up for a few inches then branch. Make a steel antler.

When we were satisfied with our "piece", the instructor came along and dropped it on the floor. If it broke, you needed more practice on getting good fusion. Mine didn't break so I drilled two holes in the base and gave it to my daughter. We fastened it to the inside of her closet door as a necklace hanger.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Just went to look. Got " We're sorry, but this page is currently unavailable for viewing. " Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Hey Ted, that will ocationally happen because it is a free hosted webserver (geocities) try again, the user is allowed so many "hits" per hour, if it exceeds the max viewing (per hour) it wont let anyone view it. Also, i read your other post regarding o/a forming a puddle from a .125" steel square to produce "antlers" question: as the puddle forms, did you add filler to the puddle until it reached a certain height, or was that strictly the puddle being add to from the base metal? (i didn't quite understand that excercise, sound interesting) I'm asuming you added filler rod to the puddle. walt

Reply to
Walt

Looks like a coffee coaster. You could put a decorative ceramic tile on top.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Thanks. Will do.

Exactly. The antler is all filler. The object is to build with filler. Two things to do wrong: Too much heat and the blob of filler overflows and falls off or droops down the side. Too little heat and successive blobs aren't properly fused so the thing breaks when dropped.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards