question for the TIG gurus

Hi,

use: I would need some help /suggestions, on a TIG purchase It would be used for 16- 24 gauge or may be even thinner stainless steel sheet metal, small piece work. A very small part of my weekly work. I am trying find the most cost effective way to get into this TIG because these small jobs does not pay , but it is a necessary evil.

questions : transformer or inverter? ( size and weight does not matter, machine wil not be moved.) brand preference, price ranges please ? what other consumables should I also buy at the time of the purchase. what filler rods are reccomended ? gases ?

more question ; in my earlier learning days , I recall when we welded /joined thin sheet metal with A/O some times filller was not necessary, just melting the edges. Would it work the same way with TIG ? Is there more arc blow involved ?

thanks a lot for your help in advance

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Your problem here will be your low end. The small transformers don't go as low as the inverters.

You might want to hunt around for a used Thermal Arc PeeWee 130GTS They are still the fanciest tiny TIG inverters ever made. If Miller keeps upgrading the Maxstar 150 it will eventually eclipse the 130GTS, but for now the 130GTS still has more features.

I don't know if they are still making them, but they do show up used on eBay and you can check with your local welding repair shops.

Neat little DC Inverter TIG/Stick machines, that ran on 110 v only. They had high freq start, a foot pedal option, and digital readouts.

If you can't find one, the Maxstar 150STH is around $1200 new.

Well a basic selection should include Steel, Stainless steel, aluminum, and bronze.

Steel ER70S-2 The basic TIG filler for steel. It comes copper plated to prevent rust, but keep it in a tube or bag anyway. Sizes:

0.045", 1/16", 3/32"

Stainless steel

308L is the standard filler for 304 SS which is the most common type. 309L is a better filler for joining any kind of stainless to steel. 316L is the best for marine work. Sizes: 0.045", 1/16", 3/32"

Aluminum

4043 is the most common aluminum filler rod. It is a bit softer, flows better and has a slightly lower melting point, and better color match for polishing or anodizing.

5356 is stronger, better corrosion resistance, so it is used for welding boat hulls made from 5052 or 5086.

4047 is my favorite for welding castings, but it is kind of hard to find. Sizes: 1/16", 3/32", 1/8"

Bronze Silicon Bronze is excellent for joing other copper alloys such as copper, brass and most bronzes. It can also be used to TIG Braze Weld steel and stainless steel. TIG Braze Welding is very useful for stianless steel since it doesn't actually melt the base metal so there is no chromium oxides formed on the back face of the metal. Sizes Sizes:

0.045", 1/16", 3/32"

An advanced selection would include: Some aerospace alloys like Inconel, Hastelloy, or Haynes alloys. They are my favorite alloys for joining odd things and are extremeley strong. Pure Nickel is excellent for joining cast iron.. Pure Copper is good for TIG welding copper where it will be seen. ER80S-B2 is the current top choice for TIG welding Chrome-Moly tube for planes, cars, motorcycles and bikes.

As to a vendor. The only guys I know that even list TIG rod on the Web are:

Great outfit, they carry all things TIG.

You can also mail order from Central Welding at :

Just call them and they will ship it to you.

Start with pure argon.

The technical term is "autogenous" weld, but we usually call them "flow" welds or "fusion" welds.

Only near magnets.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie,

this may be a newby question , on the TIG If I am stricktly TIG-welding 304 Stainless ... I got plenty of 308 SS mig wire , can this be cut into pieces and used as filler material ?

thanks

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Ernie, one more thing

can't seem to see thermal arc 130 but the 160 is available.

my local guy has maxstar 150s in stock

what would you pick between ; thermal arc 160 maxstar 150 or he will have a repo mill er syncrowave 180 sold as used

also how important to have a pulsing feature in my scenerio ?

thanks Ernie,

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Yep. Same stuff.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

As I said the 130 was a while ago. The 160 is a bigger machine, but would also work.

Maxstar 150's are nice little machines. Not quite as many features as a Thermal Arc 160GTS (closer to a bare bones 160S), but nice machines.

Need to see prices. The Syncrowave 180 will take a lot more power to feed it, but does have AC for aluminum.

Pulsing is really nice for sheet metal, but is not absolutely necessary for TIG.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler