motorsports/aircraft? chrome moly welding at the Lincoln site

I wish Barnes and Noble had the selection and prices Lincoln has here.

djtcz

This article recommends 310 or 312 if one wants to use stainless filler. I have 309 and some 312. 1) What is the disadvantage of 309 over 310? 2) Is Inconel 625 better or worse?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

304 is a 18-8 alloy , 18% Chromium, 8% Nickle

309 is a 22-12 alloy , 22% Chromium, 12% Nickle

310 is a 24-19 alloy , 24% Chromium, 19% Nickle

310 is quite a bit stronger than 309.

309 is a bit better at welding dissimilar metals.

Inconel 625 is way beyond stainless steels are far as over all strength, but they are not very common so most people don't consider them.

Inconel 625 is

61.5% Nickle, 22% Chromium, 5% iron, 9% Molybdenum, 0.5% Titanium

310 SS has a average tensile strength of 91Kpsi Inconel 625 has an avergae tensile strengh of 132Kpsi.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks, Ernie. Since I was fortunate enough to aquire a pretty good supply Inconel 625 several years ago at Boeing Surplus, I'll use that for chrome-moly.

How do Inconel HX and 82 compare with 625? I have some of that too. :-)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

To save myself some typing time