looking for projects to increase proficeincy in arc welding

one of the projects i want to do is weld up a trailer with a bracket for a large gas bottle. as this trailer will be going down the road at

80mph at times, I'd like to be confident that the brackets dont break and cause the bolttle to do the nasty thing bottles do.

I've done some practicing on someone elses welder, and was told with a little practice i'd not only do welds that are good looking, but could handle the task at hand.

on the other hand, I'd like to make sure that anything i make can withstand the rigors of the worst abuse in the world.

so, back to the topic at hand. I'd like some ideas for some small around the house projects to do that would held me step-by-step to make better and better welds without risking injury to anyone.

I think i've come up with a couple, let me know if i am on the right track. the welder i ordered should be ariving next month.

angle iron drag to smooth out the drive way. real simple project and the drag works now with only C-clamps holding it together.

t-bar for hand towing traliers - i have a pop up camper and a utility trailer, I saw one of these in a store and though t i could build one myself.

roller type aluminum can crusher - designed to crush a 5 gal pail of cans at a time, maybe with a gear reducer to improve power.

please, please, please someone give me some more ideas, I searched "project" and "proficiency" on this group and did not find much usefull.

Reply to
Tater

Well, Lincoln (for sure) and Miller (probably) have dozens of projects on their (or associated) web sites. BarBeQue grills, welding tables, metal lamps, grinder stands, etc.

However, one of the best things you can do from where you're starting is real practice pieces, just like you would do in a class. IE, NOT a project. 2 pieces of metal, prepared and welded in various configurations and positions, and bent, broken, cut, examined immediately afterwards.

When you are having trouble finding anything wrong with those, then start in on the projects. Welding is one of those activities which requires both knowledge of how to do it, and physical skill in doing it. Even if you have the knowledge part down perfectly, you need to train your hands and arms in the physical skills, and the best way to do that is by making practice welds (and destroying them, and that tells you if what you are doing is working).

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Among the first projects (other than modern art - if you know what I mean) was a cart for my welding machine and accessories. Made one for the torch too. Later, I made one for the MIG These were useful projects and nobody dies if something comes unglued.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Look around you. Do you need a gate? A ramp and stand for your ATV? An old rim welded to a post and put in concrete to hold that mess of garden hose? Some end supports for a shelf?

Build stuff you need and can use. It will give you experience in design and layout. Those are every bit as important as the welding part.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
RoyJ

Some of your posts brighten the day. Thanks for making me smile. Love your humour.

Reply to
Balders

But the instructions SAY it will work .............

;-)

Reply to
Steve B

yes, i've been looking, but havent found much that matched what i need, as the other poster suggested.

except a grinder stand, I could use the extra space on the bench.

as for buildign a bigger bench? not enough room, and I prefer wooden benches for non-welding work.

I think i'll make a 2nd grinder stand to use as a welders table. I've got plenty of junk car rims....

thats how we determined that my welding skills just need practice( see original post). messy welds, but adequate penetration and nothing a few pounds of 6013 burned in practice wont cure.

Reply to
Tater