Charging batteries from the car voltage

With reference to a recent thread, I used the electronic meter at work today to see what the cigarette lighter voltage is. My 2000 Camry read

14.1 volts. Another car, a several-year old Ford Focus read 13.4 volts. It was also noted in the maintenance group that car regulators need to be set above the 12.6 of the lead-acid storage battery to assure full and rapid charging. When I bought my cell phone the salesman stressed that the car charger should only be used very infrequently and only for short lengths of time because car chargers are very hard on cell phone (lithium) batteries.
Reply to
Charlie

The car voltage can be anywhere between 12 volts and about 14.6 volts. When fully charged it will be around 14.6 but as it sits it will slowly bleed off down to about 12 volts. Some cars can take weeks to bleed off and others can take days. It is not a problem.

Devices designed to work as car chargers are designed with regulators in them to manage the difference in input voltages. It sounds like your Cell guy knows less about the subject than you do. If it is true about the cell phone and charger I would move on to another shop and manufacturer as that one is a very poor designer....

Reply to
Woody

I hope my cell phone doesn't hear that becaue it is always charged while in the car! I guess ignorance is bliss because it has lasted over a year like that.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

And we all know that cell phone salesmen are both completely honest and have extensive electrical engineering and electro-chemistry backgrounds.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

| The car voltage can be anywhere between 12 volts and about 14.6 | volts. When fully charged it will be around 14.6 but as it sits it | will slowly bleed off down to about 12 volts.

To be more specific, 12.0 volts = almost completely discharged, and

12.6 to 12.8 volts (depends on the type of battery) means fully charged. More than 13 volts means the car is running and the battery is being charged.

| Some cars can take weeks to bleed off and others can take days. It | is not a problem.

A car battery ought to be able to last months without charging, but if it's hooked up to a car there's often some little things discharging it -- radio, clocks, alarm etc. But even with those, it should last more than days.

| Devices designed to work as car chargers are designed with regulators in | them to manage the difference in input voltages. It sounds like your Cell | guy knows less about the subject than you do.

Quite likely. He's a salesman ...

`You've got questions? We've got cell phones!' `You've got questions? We've got dumb looks!'

| If it is true about the cell phone and charger I would move on to | another shop and manufacturer as that one is a very poor | designer....

Indeed. But I don't believe it.

Actually, with a NiMH or NiCd cell, the cell phone chargers would just keep charging the battery slowly in many cases, 12v or 120v charger, so in that case it is indeed best to charge and then take it off. But for LiPo/LiIon cells (which are in most cell phones now) the charger has to know when to stop charging, so it's not a bad thing (for the battery anways) to let it charge all the time.

But the voltage regulators found in 12v chargers should be just fine.

To make this R/C related, I saw something clever at

-- they took cell phone chargers, and added plugs to fit into their `tanic taps' and you can use this to equalize your LiPo packs. Buy as many as you need -- they're relatively cheap.

Reply to
Doug McLaren