Going to the flying field

Filled up my van today before going flying...$50 bucks worth...zowie! But heard from a friend in England and gasoline is right now $8.01 a gallon...only saving grace for them is distances are much closer as the country is small compared to the wide open spaces and distances we drive here in the US. Great weather in Tennessee today..big crowd at the field... Tomorrow being Labor Day we expect more flyers to be there...and for those on six meters..I am selling all my JR six meter receivers (eBay) due to some seriousference problems on six meters at my field and I am not going to go 40 miles out of my way to another field with no interference problems...I'll use to money and buy 72 mhz stuff as the field is clear on the 72 mhz band. Anyone on 6 meters, please check my listings on ebay. Thank you, Frank Schwartz AMA123, W4KFK and still building and flying...and will be 80 in November...so far, have enjoyed 70 years of active modelling..

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Excuse my ignorance but what is a six meter? Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

Amateur radio band.

R/C for those with a Ham license.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Otherwise know as the "Magic band"!

Reply to
Fred Garvin

I drove 440 miles round trip to a model aeroplane event here in the U,K recently. Fortunately my diesel powered car does a good 60 miles to the gallon, well probably more like 50 at motorway cruising speeds. Guess we are going to be seeing higher prices for fuel in the years to come. How long before alternative power sources become increasingly, economically viable ?

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

worth...zowie!

now $8.01 a

much closer as

and distances we

here in the U,K

miles to the

speeds.

the years to

increasingly,

Probably quite a while until alternative fuels become feasible, and then only for the rich. It is my suspicion that the lower economically well endowed folks will be giving up their mobility. I hope not, but that is my suspicion.

My wife and I currently drive two minivans. Both are gasoline fueled, not diesel. Why they do not offer the diesel versions in the US is beyond me. I would trade in my ten year old minivan in a heart beat if I could buy a diesel powered version at a reasonable price.

We have a couple of small businesses that require our minivans. Otherwise, I would be driving something more fuel efficient. Still, the minivans get much better mileage than some of the other vehicles I see on the roads in this part of the US. Hauling models is much easier with the minivans too. A bonus, of sorts.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Six meters is the 50 through 54 megahertzham band. If you have an amateur radio license, you can legally fly on this band and both JR and Futaba sell six meter radios. Without this license, you cannot fly there and will stay on the 72 mhz band where 99% of the flyers fly.

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Radio frequency.

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Currently paying around 95p a litre for regular, unleaded petrol. That's about $7.95 for an imperial gallon - or $6.36 for the smaller US gallon. Diesel is closer to £1 a litre.

Reply to
John Privett

wait for China to fully enter the consumer market...

we will all be buying tennis shoes as a alternative power source...

Reply to
bob.neville

wait for China to fully enter the consumer market...

we will all be buying tennis shoes as a alternative power source...

Reply to
Bob Neville

In some areas, it has topped the £1 per litre mark.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

When China gets really going and the rest of our jobs leave the country, there will be hardly anyone left to buy their products.

Yes, I know how this sounds to the rest of the world, but I doubt that China can sustain their industry without the huge volume of sales generated by America.

America with no jobs, equals a China without sufficient sales to continue its growth as a super economic power. A balance must be struck, but we all know that the world doesn't work that way.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I sure as heck hope not. I would be exhausted bending down to try and tie 'em >:-) Perhaps we could get slip-on versions ?

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

My diesel car is quite an old model now (10 years) aint got much value but has never faltered so I want to run it until it collapses then get something newer.

My first diesel was `bog standard' and was economical but slow at getting off the mark.

This car is `turbo' `intercooled'and the combined turbo and intercooler sure make a heck of a difference. Quite a few petrol engined cars can get a surprise when I wind up from the lights. The petrol engine has the initial advantage but as soon as the revs come up a bit and the turbo gets to spinning the diesel then comes into its own as it is pulling bigger gears and the other guy is changing through the gears sooner. It realy comes into its own on long distance fast trips, 70 mph has the engine turning over around 2,400 revs not much more than double the idle speed. They are quiet and absolutely effortless on motorway runs.

I doubt I would ever go back to petrol again, the newer diesels have much better mpg than my older one. The long distances in America are just right for diesel power. The diesel is far more pleasant to drive in heavy traffic as well, the terrific pulling power at low revs and relaxed nature of the engine make it far easier than petrol powered cars, couple that with our manual gear boxes and its a pleasure >:-)

So impressed with diesel I even went and bought a 1.5 cc model diesel engine at a swapmeet last week >:-)

Reg

Reply to
tux_powered

| My first diesel was `bog standard' and was economical but slow at | getting off the mark.

I had a Diesel Rabbit at one point. 0-60 mph in about 45 seconds. Seriously.

However, this wasn't because it was a diesel. This was because it was designed to get as good as mileage as possible, and that included giving it a little engine. Put a big diesel engine in it, and it would be fast -- but use more fuel.

There's nothing inherently slow about diesels. Sure, they're a bit larger for a given power output, but it's not that large of a difference. Diesel engined cars have even been raced in the Indianapolis 500.

| So impressed with diesel I even went and bought a 1.5 cc model diesel | engine at a swapmeet last week >:-)

Of course, all of our glow engines run on the diesel principle, whether they're called `diesel' engines or not.

Sure, the glow plug helps, providing some catalyst action to help it fire with less compression, but it's still running by dieseling.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Snip>

Not strictly true.

Model diesels are compression ignition engines, but are not true diesels as they don't have fuel injection.

Glow motors need the hot element of the glow plug to keep running, and again have no fuel injection. With a dud glow plug they won't start and most will stop if the plug fails when they are actually running.

Malcolm

Aaaalllllrightythen!

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

I have been a diesel fan since I was a teenager. I learned how to handle a clutch on a Massey-Furgeson diesel tractor. I "think" it was a Big M.

Then the McCoy .09 diesel and an OK Cub .049 diesel. Later some converted glow engines and finally driving a Ford tractor with a Diesel engine. I got lost in Mt. Kisko NY and did a U-ee with an 18 wheeler on Reader's Digest driveway!

Anyhoo, I love diesels of all types, as well as gassers.

I'm waiting for a diesel powered motorcycle to become available. I understand that such creatures do exist in the military, or they will shortly.

If anyone has a .15 MVVS diesel that they would consider parting with (throttle equipped), send me an email and lets negotiate. It doesn't have to be pretty, but it does have to be worth dedicating a model too. Other brands are okay too.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Some glow engines have been known to start without a lit glow plug, but it is extremely rare.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Been there, saw that! Hot dry day and Rossi Pylon 40.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh