Which Covering is Preferred?

I have been using Monocote for years but have heard there are better coverings out there. Who prefers what? And, is a special iron required?

Reply to
Watchur6

In film coverings I much prefer Ultracote. It goes around corners easier, doesn't gas out anywhere near as much as Monokote, the matching paints are actually a very close match and the paint sprays and lays

100%+ better than Lusterkote.

For fabric coverings I use Solartex. Again, it does curve and wingtips with ease and is substantially lighter in weight than Coverite fabric. The only negative I have found to Solartex is that it should be clearcoated to make cleaning easier. The reason for this is that the weave is more open on Solartex (does not make the covering weaker or less puncture resistant though ).

Your regular iron will do the job just fine. You will need to use a lower temperature though. Where Monokote requires a high heat, both of the coverings I have mentioned will do just fine at about 2/3 the heat needed for Monokote.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Ultracote doesn't seem to sag or bubble as much in the sun either....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I much prefer Ultracote to Monocote. The latter has a way of straining my vocabulary. Same iron, just use less heat. Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland

Gosh, whatever became of good old silk and dope? You may consider that a stupid statement, but I have yet to find any modern covering that is as easy to apply or that conforms to compound curves as well as the stuff that comes from the backside of a caterpillar!

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

Easy to apply, yes, but harder to finish to a nice and shiny luster.

If you don't crash your airplanes silk or silkspan can't be beat.

That reminds me: Gotta get the paint booth so I can use up my silkspan inventory...

Reply to
Tim Wescott

i've been using MonoKote since 1967, and every time I try something new, I come back to MonoKote. Ultracote is okay, meaning I have had some successful projects, but I find the quality control with UltracotePlus is poor, with much variation from roll to roll. I like

21st. Century fabric for projects that require a fabric covering.
Reply to
JohnAgnew2978

I'm happy with UltraCote because the trim doesn't bubble as much a

Monokote.

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

----------------------------------------------------------------------- tailskid2's Profile:

this thread:

tailskid2

Aside from the extra work involved, not to mention the dope fumes , there is the matter of cost. I was actually going to do a silk and dope finish last year and when I heard the cost of silk at the hobby shop I choked. Sorry I don't remember the cost - just the shock.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega

Say I want my covering to allow light to shine through, but not b

transparent... wich ones allow light to show through?

I have a foam win that I want to light up the foam with LEDs and I wan the light to show through the covering... but dont want to see the tap :)...

I plan to use Neon Orange Ultracoat, wich is currently called PolyCote or something now? (hobby-lobby). Will this do

-- Draconiou

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Draconious's Profile:

this thread:

Draconious

Monokote for me all the way.

Ultracote is for those who don't know how to apply Monokote. Ultracote is like training wheels on Monokote.....once you know how to apply it you will never go back to Ultracote...besides Ultracote is more expensive!

Reply to
Richard

Most of the Solite colors are somewhat translucent, but you'll be able to barely see the tape through it too. Low temp, goes around curves well, light weight, but doesn't add as much strength as the full weight coverings like monocote. If you try it don't let the adhesive side touch itself after the backing is removed. It'll grab itself and not letgo without damaging the finish.

Good Luck, PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

Don't feel the need for a special iron - I mostly use a small "travel iron".

However, I do think a thermometer suitable for checking the iron temperature is a sound investment - mine saved a lot of frustration from incorrect iron temperature - too hot the film or whatever frizzles, too cold and it doesn't stick or shrink properly.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher