Club riding tractor question

My model airplane club bought a new MTD Yard Machine from Walmart last fall. It had a 17hp Briggs and Stratton engine. After approximately 20 hours of grass cutting, it sounded like a rod was knocking by June. We took it in and mechanic said it had badly overheated and had big carbon build-up (which was making that noise). They are sticking a new engine on it (we have to wait 2 weeks though). So, I was wondering, do any of you guys have some informative stories to tell about your club mowers?

And has anyone heard anything derogatory about that Briggs and Stratton 17hp they sold in 2002? Earl Remove no_spam to reply email

Reply to
Earl Lewis

We stole the motor off ours and put it on the club trainer... Talk about "Unlimited vertical" and BOY are the newbies impressed!! :-) Mark

Reply to
Penguin254

Our club had a tractor and slasher (we have a very large field). The ex-president's son (the president had previously been 'ejected' from the club and left in rather bad spirits) decided to steal it one night, to get back at us. He drove it across a couple of fields, through some fences and did quite a bit of damage to the tractor and slasher. As if that wasn't enough, he then decided to drive it into the river :-( Little bastard........ Consequently, we now have no tractor/slasher and can't afford to buy a new one.

MrBonk

MrBonk

I serviced our Club Cadet mower (not actually our club mower...) a few months ago (18 hp Kohler) and when picking up parts from the small engine service place, the repair guy said that the biggest problem they have with mower engine failure is it being operated at too low throttle, resulting in inadequate airflow and overheating. He reckoned you should always operate it between 3/4 and full throttle.

Russ.

Reply to
Russ

Yup. Bought a nice Lowe's model. No one mentioned the transaxle had grease fittings. After 2 years of use, the bearing froze up, and the axle ground a groove through the housing. $800 later, the mower was fixed. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Gerald you dissappoint me!! I would have thought you'd have found that!! J/K I have a 17.5 horsepower Kawsaki in a John Deere and the instructions say to run it at full throttle when cutting grass. Heck it's 18 years old and still running with no oil use yet. Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713

Reply to
Efulmer

As an employee of a full service lawn equipment dealer, I am often frustrated by people who go to places such as WalMart, buy equipment there, then come to us for warranty repairs. The big box stores can get away with not having to service what they sell, but independent stores are not afforded that luxury. So, the WalMarts, the Home Depots, etc, are sucking the gravy while giving the full service stores the dregs. It costs warranty repair stations considerable time and effort to do the paperwork necessary to file warranties, money which is seldom if ever recouped in the cost of repair. Ironically, the independent stores can usually match prices with the big guys, but the public's perception is that the big box stores will give the better deal.

The B&S engines supplied in the cheaper machines have either a splash or a partial pressure lubrication system. The engines supplied in higher-end machines have a full pressure oil system. If it has an oil filter, it's probably the good engine.

Also keep in mind that small equipment engines made during the last couple of years have to meet EPA standards, which means they run lean. Therefore, ANY cooling system obstruction is bad news, as is low oil level.

Geoff Sanders

Reply to
Geoff Sanders

""Our club had a tractor and slasher (we have a very large field). The ex-president's son (the president had previously been 'ejected' from the club and left in rather bad spirits) decided to steal it one night, to get back at us. He drove it across a couple of fields, through some fences and did quite a bit of damage to the tractor and slasher. As if that wasn't enough, he then decided to drive it into the river :-( Little bastard........ Consequently, we now have no tractor/slasher and can't afford to buy a new one.""

MrBonk

Mr Bonk,

Is this the same pain in the arse guy you mentioned earlier??

Reply to
Tommy

We have a guy that stores and tows the mower to the field. The club owns the mower but he won't let anyone go near it let alone ride it. All we are allowed to do is to shovel up the cow dung,!!

Reply to
Tommy

Nope....the guy I posted about before is about 70. This young bloke was only 15 or 16 at the time (I think). His father was the president of the club for quite a while, but from all reports he was a first class d*****ad. Eventually, they chucked him out of the club, so his son thought he'd 'get us back' and steal the tractor. It probably would have been ok if he hadn't dumped it in the river. The other damage was repairable at least.

MrBonk

MrBonk

I can relate....

No matter HOW MANY TIMES I show the idiots how to run OUR Club mower, they screw it up! Break/Bend SOMETHING!

If I gotta fix it, I'm gonna run it! The rest of you guys, shovel shit! I LIKE this guy!!

Reply to
Bob Severance

What can I say...I'm used to el-cheapo models with self-lubricating bronze bushings. :)

Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Hopefully you are suing the crap out of said ex-president's son.

Reply to
Brian Henderson