Old lawn mower

I just pulled my "antique" lawn mower out of the attic shed where it has resided since 1996 and fired it up again. It is a 1957 Canadian Lawn King, manufactured by Clemmer Industries in Waterloo Ontario with a Lauson V20G engine. Perfect running condition. See it at http:\\snyder.on.ca\pages\Old Engines\Lawn King Mower.htm

Reply to
clare

Here's a working URL, clare.

Larry Jaques

My great uncle Bill Peltier made a bunch of lawn mowers immediately following WWII. We had one with a Lauson engine. This one used a horizontal shaft engine with a twisted V-belt to a spindle. It was pretty crude, flat deck, no chute, no guard in sight, pipe handle, skinny little front wheels, larger back ones.

Every time that damned thing rusted out, Dad would rebuild it in a heavier gauge. The last iteration was 11 ga., still with the same skinny tires. Pushing that thing through wet Saint Augustine grass was work.

Dad is approaching 95 (Dec 22), and still living at the old place. I was looking around in the barn a few weeks back, and the old thing is still there. Probably hasn't been used in 40 years. The Lauson is long gone, B&S now.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

That's cute! Do you suppose that was the original paint scheme? Cast aluminum deck - that's nice. Single-lever control of all 4 wheels - that's nice, too.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Lauson became Tecumseh. I also have one of those tubular framed sheet metal decked 24 inch mowers woth the twisted belt and horizontal shaft engine. It has 20 inch bicycle tires on the rear - and is self propelled. When the steel deck corroded through I put on a stainless deck. When the old Briggs died 2 years aho I put on a 6.5HP Bolton (chinese honda clone in blue paint) engine.

I'll have to post pictures of it too. Made in Schreveport La. It had a

6BS motor - so that dates IT back to the late fifties Made from '53 to '58) I use it every week during the growing season to mow my lawn.
Reply to
clare

Actually it was orange with a light green deck when I got it, but most of the paint was missing - the deck was starting to corode - I stripped it down and painted it with tremclad just to preserve it back about 1996.

Reply to
clare

I still use an Eclipse reel mower with a 6BS engine that starts on the second pull.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Engine? Kids these days. Spoiled.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I mowed a large lot for years with a steel-wheeled push reel mower - got my first power mower when I mowed 4 or 5 lawns all across town as a young teen. A Jacobson just a couple years newer than the Lawn King.

Reply to
clare