ANNOUNCING NARAM-46

The Northern Virginia Association of Rocketry (NOVAAR), NAR Section #205 is
pleased to announce that it has been awarded the bid for NARAM-46. .
Here are the particulars...
NARAM-46
July 31 - August 6, 2004
Great Meadow Outdoor Events Center

The Plains, Virginia
Events:
B Payload Altitude
D Egg Loft Altitude (C for A Division)
B Egg Loft Duration (C for A Division)
B Rocket Glide Duration
B Streamer Multi-round
1/2A Helicopter Duration
A Boost Glider Duration
Sport Scale
Plastic Model Conversion
Research and Development (for points!)
Contest Director: Jonathan Rains
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net
301-589-7562
A web site is in the works, so stay tuned for further information.
Reply to
Jonathan Rains
I have to say that this is the best set of NARAM events in several years. It looks like you've picked events to fit the field, rather than to force people to hike cross country. But it looks like we're gonna need a LOT of 18mm B motors...
Bob Kaplow
Get any of those B-C-D motors contest approved in time for NARAM-46, and I'll use them!
Bob Kaplow
You'd be better off with an end burning "G8" or something like that for a saucer.
Bob Kaplow
If they will ACCEPT them for testing I will submut them. I even made a BoT request FORMALLY for that. Heard the result yet? Or was NAR dissolved?
:)
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Get these motors contest approved, and the RCRG guys will use them. As will I.
Bob Kaplow
Get S&T to agree to even receive them and I will. YOU have more incentive than I do. I already sell 95% as many as I will even if NAR certified.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
That might be *too* slow. I've tried E6 and D3's in saucers and they come over the top still burning. The D3 Snitch was still burning when in hit the ground.
Tom

Tom Binford
I do not have the convenience of a field that will support what I want to fly at my disposal. I fly at field where nar clubs fly. these are restricted field where the club got basically a "waiver" from the park or school to fly our launches their.
nar launch means nar legal. if I want insurance that means nar legal.
Telling me I can do it otherwise is not going to change whether it happens. Just give them what they want and be done with it.
What is the problem ?
Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr
Never said anything about an 18mm g12 (would be way to long even if you could do it)
I just meant something "equivalent" to a G12. preferable 24-32mm range like the aerotech loads.
Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr
Well, I spend my days (and nights) playig with rockets, but on those rare occasions I get to an amusement park, I do. Now my wife turns green even thinking about riding one.
But my point is that with drag limited rockets like saucers, a long burn low thrust motor sends it considerably higher than a short burn high thrust motor. Years ago I did some sims for large saucers, and got more altitude out of the old F14 (similar to the F23 but slightly lower average thrust) than the H180. And that's about a 1:4 difference in total impulse.
Bob Kaplow
interesting that you understand this so clearly but took forever to comprehend the issue with my glider.
DRAG limited rockets need lower thrust since "terminal velocity" if you will call it that is much lower.
once above a certain amount of power you are just fighting drag and when that motor burns out the model does not really coast like a normal rocket does. it just (like my grr) STOPS in its tracks.
a G8 should be fine depending on how heavy it is. a C6 will keep a snitch vertical so should a G8 if it is not terribly that much heavier.
Most rockets climb only a short distance on the motor. they then coast for the other 50-99% of their altitude on the delay grain.
saucers do not. then stop when the thrust stops so longer thrust means higher altitude. even if you put an M1000 in a very small saucer it will come to a stop VERY shortly after that motor burns out just because of how much drag they produce. but on smoky motors this is LOADS of fun. (ala Art Applewhits HPR saucers !!! cooool fun to watch them fly !!!)
Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Site Timeline