Plz Read: NARAM-46 Web Site Now Open

All -
I'm happy to report that the web site for NARAM-46 is now open!
The url is www.naram.org.
Charlie Sykos is performing an admirable job as our webmaster. Having
broadband in Kealakua, Hawaii helps.
The web site's not static - we'll be adding content in the coming weeks (an application would be nice). What I do want people to do is to start thinking about their vacation (is NARAM a vacation?) plans for 2004 and consider booking your room at the host hotel. Washington, DC is one of the top vacation destinations in the country especially for families. Most of the museums here have no admission fees (read: f-r-e-e) thanks to Ma and Pa Taxpayer. Getting into and around the city via public transit (read: Metro Rail) is fairly easy and safe. The Vienna/Fairfax-GMU Station is less then 20 minutes from the hotel. Most of the Smithsonian museums, Capital, Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial are all located on the Mall. We've added an attractions page to the web site to help one navigate all there is to do in the DC metro area. Yes Virginia, there will be a rocket meet next year in The Plains, however I've spend many a NARAM at sites where I'm glad my family was not joining me for the 'fun'.
Once again - www.naram.org.
I look forward to hearing from one and all.
Jonathan Rains
NAR #13911
NARAM-46 CD
Congratulations, Jon! This is going to be a fantastic event!
Doug Pratt www.pratthobbies.com

Would you know offhand if the motel is "pet friendly". Or if not have an alternate place in the area that is. I can't remember if we took our dog with last time or not, and things change in 15 years. In fact, I don't remember anything at all of the hotel. But I DO still remember the Muncie and Henrietta Ramadas...
BTW, will this be the second NARAM of the 19th century?
Bob: looks like Goddard don't get to goto NARAM46: http://www.holidayinnmanassas.com /
at the bottom of the page: Sorry, no pets allowed!
get a docters statement saying you need him for "per therapy"...
Also can I get a copy of you and alan's R&D report on streamers? I'm sorry that I have to talk to you like this in public, but since I can'r email you without it bounching back I have no alternative....
shockie

The report was actually all my work. As I mentioned yesterday, it's available as part of one of the NARTS journals. Not sure if that is text only, or has any drawings.
At any rate, I've taken the original LaTeX, converted it back to ASCII, and stuffed it at http://www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/STREAMER.TXT
Interesting note about this report: This is the only serious R&D project I ever did, back when NIRA was seriously competing for National Championship. One of NIRAs A divisioners got access to Fermi for drop tests, so at the last minute I threw this experiment together, and we co-collected our data. It wasn't much more effort to drop two sets of test objects vs one set.
Having no experience with R&D, I scanned through all my NAR and MIT journals, looking for a well written report, and "borrowed" its format. The one I chose happened to have been written by one Arthur H Barber. Guess who the head R&D judge was at NARAM that year? At any rate, I placed second, and Trip's comments to me afterward were "very dry subject, very well done".

Latex is better converted to pdf with free print to pdf programs.
The whole point of latex was formatting.

:)

Yea. But everything else on my chad web site is plain ASCII. And I haven't had a working copy of LaTeX for a decade...

Yes. I'd have to FIND something I haven't seen in 19 years...
<A HREF="mailto:kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD

I actually have a copy--would you believe I had read it and recognized in on Bob's site. I ordered a load of stuff from NARTS once, and this is in the "NAR Technical Review, Volume VII: Proceedings of NARAM 26," April 1985, Dave Cook, editor.
There is a figure, which is a 1-page hand-scrawled sketch of the five streamer folding methods. I could scan it if Bob doesn't mind.
Peter Alway
Saturn Press PO Box 3709 Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3709 http://members.aol.com/satrnpress/saturn.htm Free scale data at: http://yellowjacketsystems.com/alway/Default.htm
(PeteAlway) writes:

Please do. I suppose I should buy the NARTS report, just like I should buy your 2003 ROTW supliment with my Conestoga-1 data in it :-)
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) writes:

Peter Alway scanned the one CHAD illustration from the report and forwarded it to me. It's at
http://encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/STREAMER_FOLDING.GIF
I heard back from the Manassas Holiday Inn. They recently changed their policy regarding pets.
Here's the deal:
Pets are welcome only on the ground floor and these rooms are all double beds - smoking rooms.
Jonathan Rains
NARAM-46 CD
">

was
over.

well, I was thinking of bringing my cigar puffing poodle, but while i can bear my pipe smoke, the two of us inthe same room is too much!
--
Tater
President of MARS Club

We had that conversation in email. THEN I posted to rmr. I am suggesting you change that for the better.
Change tradition and please let U.S. Rockets (dealer) lead the way to the future.
Jerry
NAR 24333 (not as low a number as you but a multiple contest CD.)

It'll be nice to thank those who provided stuff for door prizes, trophies and auction. I noticed that along with the other problems of the past NARAM banquet, there were reminders needed of donors towards the trophies, and no mention of door prize donors that I recall (or perhaps it was in the low-volume, not-directed-at-the-microphone comments that I missed).
I would have been miffed (not really upset, but just a bit peeved) if I had supported a set of trophies and not been thanked publically, or after-the-fact.
There was no mention of donors for the auction either. I thought that was maybe policy or something.
You'll have my donations for auction and door prizes again this year. And depending on finances, maybe another set of trophies too. I encourage everyone to step up to the plate, and offer up something, even an Estes kit or a pack of engines for the auction. It all goes to a great cause and helps keep the excitement level of NARAM up. I'm gonna try to find some more unusual/wanted items for next year (not like my sticky buns!).
Tom Ha

Hi Tom.
I was at the last Naram, and I contributed an item to the auction.
I remember the donor of each Item that I won at the action, two from Bob, and one item from Matt. they were announced at the start of the bid. and on the item I donated, I remember the mention of my company name right at the start.
I'm not sure what you mean about the trophies, the ones who attended, the donors handed them out. I'm sure the absent ones were mentioned as well.
Art Upton www.k8xg.com www.zagicam.com www.boostervision.com

I was the delivery boy for several items that weren't actually from me. The F20-4 motors were sent to me by Gary at Aerotech. And the collecters BP motors were donated by Billy James Jr at NARAM last year. He handed them to me IIRC on the last day, and I told him they wuld go to next years auction. The salvaged gel cells DID come from me, but I got them out of the office scrap pile.

Yes, most donations were announced.

The sponsored trophies were also announced.
The only thing that wasn't announced was the collection of door prizes on the table you couldn't get to. I can only assume that they all came from their manufacturers. But thanks to them all for supporting NARAM.
Snip all.
There are two reasons vendors donate prizes to events:
1. To support the event (ha!) 2. To get awareness of the product being donated so mindshare improves.
If #2 does not happen, soon enough the vendor gives up the ghost on #1.
I simply proposed to enhance #2 so #1 is also enhanced both in scale and regularity.
It was refused.
By the NARAM coordinator. By the naram website host By the TARC website host By at least three NAR club contest prize coordinators.
The sports that are successful promoting sponsorships are a bit more crass and commercial in appearance than NAR to be sure, but they also have alot more benefits to the general membership as a result of the contributions sponsors make.
Jerry
Must be that I'm looking through those darn rose-colored glasses again!
Or maybe it's that I really only pay attention to the things I'm involved in, like the rocket kits and miscellanea that I donated. No mention of my name was made, nor can I recall the donor of the G-Force or Corian (?) pad-heads that I remember being auctioned. I certainly know who I got the big bag o balsa from! And the FlisKits OverDue kit, for that matter. But then, they were a regular (BMS) item and a special-explanation (from Jim Flis) item.
Tom