ANNOUNCING NARAM-46

When manufactured at the equator, the seam is lateral around the circumference of the tube at the midpoint. When manufactured at the poles, the seam is longitudinal.

steve

Reply to
default

It depends if your clock is analog or digital!

Reply to
Dale Greene

Seamless drawn tubing (a la Pro38 cases, etc) must then be manufactured at the South Pole, I guess.

mj

Reply to
Mark Johnson

digital or analog?

Reply to
R Ted Phipps

Of course he doesn't. He's George. And yes, I was complimenting him on all his work. George and Chris are VERY different modellers. George has patience when it comes to his work, and realistic expectations of what will work and what won't. Chris does not.

Reply to
GCGassaway

I have to agree with you there George.

NAR certified reload shortages ONLY. Less than 2% of the market.

Or CF

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

again that would entail massive monetary expense and more importantly DOZENS if not HUNDREDS of hours in work.

for what gain ? reduction of model mass by .5 pounds (that is what I estimate I would save in mass) and an extra 25 feet in altitude ?

its just not worth it.

and on top of that an incredible loss in TOUGHNESS and durability. remember this model survived 3 crash landings with narry a scratch.

Chris Taylor Jr

as I said I would have to test but at the range this thing would be flying AND the nature of model rocket flying (large fields away from populations in the immediate vicinity. it just might work.

I will have to play with it and find out. but going FM would DOUBLE the cost.

Chris Taylor Jr

I do not NEED to reduce Mass. what part of that are you so dense on understanding.

I need to reduce DRAG or increase power and burn time.

mass is fixed. I do not think it would be POSSIBLE for me to get below 10 pounds. I just do not think it is possible short of me making a pure foam model Carbon Fibering the whole damned thing and them melting out the foam.

Short of the THOUSANDS of dollars that would cost and the HUNDREDS of hours and trial and error it would consume I estimate that it MIGHT get as light as 8 pounds.

just not worth it.

if this thing was 20 pounds you would have a point but its only 12 pounds !! it is going to be really hard to get much lighter than that.

Chris Taylor Jr

point is len It is not getting any lighter without spending thousands of dollars and even then it will not get much lighter.

if I had unlimited resources and budget and time I MIGHT be able to make this glider as light as 8 pounds.

that would mean a Comlete foam glider that is then Carbon FIbered with 2 layers of carbon and a 3rd layer maybe 4th at Key structural stress points.

Then acetone the foam out so I have a pure carbon shell.

Then and maybe then I could get close to a theoretical MINIMUM of 8 or 9 pounds (remember we still have the FIXED mass of the eletronics and associated gear and Motors)

that would cost THOUSANDS of dollars and take HUNDREDS of hours. for what. an extra 50 to 100 feet in altitude ? I can do that just by using a larger motor which would cost me a few DOLLARS more (actually LESS money since I am going to hybrid) and NO changes to the glider.

in fact my idea to go balsa built up has NOTHING to do with mass and drag. in fact I fully expect the next grr to be OVER 10 pounds. maybe even heavier than last years final version (11.4 pounds) I am going balsa build up for another reason and to allow the glider to be Modular for easier transport and storage.

I have already solved the mass and drag problem. I solved that with the intent to use an I90 hybrid. Drag and mass problem solved. More power and Longer burn.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

put he WAS degenerating ME with those comments and george DID realize this.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

thats easy. crude tubes are analog accurate precise tubes are digital.

duh

:-)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

So will you reverse this statement about me if the glider works perfectly next year ?

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

of the tube

No seam in space :)

Reply to
IceAge

Here here. I have EASILY over 50 flight on my blackbirds.

I doubt ANYONE except the creators of the model have that many flights on such a model.

LOTS of money in engines :-( but so much fun to fly. but I got lucky too. bought a box of e-15p's from an allied hobbies for $50 (that my friends was $1.66 an en engine :-) droool Drool how much fun it was while it lasted.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

In space, no one can here you seam...

David "let's see you top this for degeneration of a thread" Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

In seam, no one can hear you space...

Reply to
IceAge

Those leftist spirals are what gets us those Senators from NY and NY, and you know what good that does our hobby? You know how long I've been working to get rightist spirals mandated in the NFPA codes? Anybody working with leftist spirals is an enemy of this hobby, and. . . .

Wait a minute. Wrong thread.

Never mind. . . .

[;-) for the humor impaired. . . ]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Mark B. Bundick mbundick - at - earthlink - dot - net NAR President www - dot - nar - dot - org

Reply to
Mark B. Bundick

In space, no one can see yo seam...

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Ok, I got that one! : )

RRRIIIIIIPPPPPPLLLLLEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

Reply to
Randy