ANNOUNCING NARAM-46

snip

Good looking set of events. Looks like I have competetive models for all but scale. Less to work on:) Looking forward to it!

QM

Reply to
Quilly Mammoth

Indeed, and the only 'airfoil' mine ever had was wing camber, from picking the warpiest foamboards, with the warp being symmetrical of course. Undercamberred seemed to work a bit better than true flat, in fact, you could see over an inch of daylight under Astron SST when it sat on the RSO table. Do you think overcamber wing on a delta would be better? Reverse warpage, he he.

Seemed like he was real close there.

How much is too much? My Marauder series gliders raise like 70% of the wing. Yea, not the greatest durationers, but some of these have glided very well, but the largest ones didnt. Guess that quality does not scale up well.....

Are these still available? Id like to see em, I did see that Millenium Falcon video tho. Aw, thats not dangerous 8^).

Mine as well, I just aint a master craftsman, and anything more than 10 or 20 dollars into a glider is too much for me.

Uh oh, George, remember *this* is the man who flies what he wants, and with his own motors!! Hed cheat and make special motors just to show us.....naw, not Jerry.

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

Hey Chris (and George), what RC setup would you recommend for like, 1 to 2lb delta jobs, just one channel for both elevons and one for the rudder? My Hitec AM system has has lots of interference, the servos shifting on the pad and little controlability in midair. Also, what servos and battery packs? Standard servos for like a G version and micros for an Eish one.

Thanks in advance!

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

Name 3?

Estes Sky Dart Enerjet Pterodactyl Flop wing delta for a HPR variant of a sky dart.

Plenty of home designs that are harder to describe.

When I was starting out in contests in the 70's I was a strong proponent of moving parts gligers.

Groundhod (swin wing) dihedral Slide wing polyhedral Flop wing polyhedral Even scissor wing which is the worst idea on the planet

I am inlcined to go for inflato-wing for a hypersonic reentry vehicle.

Getting up is easy for me. Getting down is not normally my forte (shovels are my forte) and being at war with folks like gasaholic cannot help. He is after all an RC recovery expert.

But if you could hybrid his control experience, my boost and feedback and control experience and leverage some cool carbon fiber technology, we could make rocket launch short trips to space at every state fair in the country :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

QM: will you be in your Quilly Mammoth suit so nobody knows you, or will you appear as a real person we can meet and talk too?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

OK, I will say it wont be duration oriented.

Reply to
GCGassaway

Hey Chris (and George), what RC setup would you recommend for like, 1 to 2lb delta jobs, just one channel for both elevons and one for the rudder? My Hitec AM system has has lots of interference, the servos shifting on the pad and little controlability in midair. Also, what servos and battery packs? Standard servos for like a G version and micros for an Eish one.

Reply to
GCGassaway

Also check out Servo City for flight packs (receiver, battery, servos) as you add to your R/C glider fleet. They have good prices on Hitec packs, include the crystal with the receiver, free shipping, and great service!

They have Transmitters too, but I haven't compared prices on them.

tim

GCGassaway wrote:

Reply to
Tim

appear as a real person we can meet and talk too?

I've meet QM at 2 different NARAMs. He didn't make it to Evansville. DC will be a longer haul for him, but I'd look forward to seeign him again.

He didn't look THAT furry when I met him...

Bob Kaplow

OK, so you're going to do an HPR full stack shuttle. Maybe something almost as big as the one I saw at a MITCON over 2 decades ago.

Bob Kaplow

Heck yea, I only had a few good flights, these being on a field no longer usable.

Focus 3 FM...ok thats reasonably priced, and I may end up needing that third channel sometime anyways.

I already have 4 of these laying around, so I dont need more (or do I).

Well, I have two of these in AM, and they may be half the problem with the glitching and loss of control. Ive never flown much more than 500ish feet away, but that may be in the 'gray area' of control.

Ive been told this is the one I shouldve gotten instead, FM of course.

Yea, but they are beefy enough for this tho. I do have some HS-50s too, these went on a C powered delta RCRG, these weigh next to nothing but not much armage on em. Had to use a paperclip bent and strung thru to activate huuuuuge elevator. This actually worked well, when I was on the original field with nothing around.

Indeed so, these are gonna scat like mini HPR gliders of yore.

Its gonna be a plain jane EconoGlider, like 2lbs on a G35. Since Id have the battpacks and RC gear on, I wouldnt need the long nose section for ballast.

Nooooooooo, thats waaay over my head.

Ill make sure to do this mod.

BTW, what do you recommend for linking the RC gear to the control surfaces? String and tape with clips is just old hat, do you use REAL gear for these? or scratch build em?

Itll have plenty, as well as a plain delta planform. No roll problems with this at large sizes.

The Econo may well need this, to spare having an extra 18" tube up front.

I think I have a 50mah pack, and a fat 270mah one on hand. Guess I need one in between.....

Thanks for the help, George!!

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

God, Ive made some ridiculous gliders over the years with all manner of moving crap, and most of these had more bugs than a corrupt version of Windows.

Ok, how bout a two staged glider, using a G booster which was a saucer glider, with a long flexie RG on top. This thing had *6* things that had to occur to work, it did twice before I lost both parts. It looked like heck on the pad, gaurantee you BK would NOT let this fly in its full up config.

Ha ha ha, I agree with Jerry Irvine, gimme a Tshirt (one that actually fits). I hated these, they never seemed reliable at D+ sizes, and dont mention wing loadings and pivot/retainer hitches.

This can have dual meaings Jerry 8^)

Yes, I always felt that any large glider FF glider must be rocket first, glide second. Which means its gotta boost dead straight on a big motor in a 20mph wind.

Hmm, foamboard makes a funny sound as its coming in fast and impacts nearby......

Sure he can, Ive asked about simple decent RC gear. Im tired of relying on motor ejections, and if I get back active in HPR its gonna be hybrids, so Id better get used to 'cheating' on the way down.

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

Well, Ive done multiple PGs off various carriers, some of which were gliders as well. None RC, but the most Ive done was either 12 or 14, and each glider was around 200 in sq. Kinda redundant, as you can only see a few at a time. Two or three larger ones is best.

AstronMike

Reply to
Mike Lee Kochel

it depends on the speed the model si likely to attain and the "size" of the control surfaces.

you need to make sure you can MOVE the surface when you command it to. on a glider the size I built with normal servos the WIND flowing over the massive elevons would exhert a greater force than a standard servo could meaning I would not be able to move the surfaces.

for a 1-2lb model standard servos are fine and maybe even mini servos (although not for G power)

you NEED to eliminate the flutter. get a new radio it will trash a rocket glider. the more ahnds off you can make the boost the less power you need since under glide the forces on the servos are not nearly as high.

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

and your wife wonders why I am annoyed at you.

Chris Taylor Jr

so your saying YOUR suggestions would NOT result in success.

Thankyou for finally admitting that.

Chris Taylor Jr

Jerry Irvine wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.verizon.net:

Not at that chord/thickness ratio.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Alan Jones wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nice analysis. Extra points for properly using the adjective optimal rather than the noun optimum.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Somebody can correct me if I'm full of it here (it happens, usually several times a day) but I suspect that the reason for an improvement in performance of an airfoiled wing, expressed in terms of L/D, over a flat plate is probably more because of the reduction in the denominator (the drag term) than because of any increase in lift.

My memory indicates that the best airfoil only provides maybe 10-15% more lift than a flat plate in similar circumstances, but if it reduces the drag term by 50% it's still a > 2x improvement.

Or did I miss something?

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Correct. In fact my post on that very topic started this micro-thread.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine