NARAM 46 Events ?

were the events told at the banquet ? if so could someone please post them. CB

Reply to
CB

Time for some 13mm B motors and A motors? In stock now :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

july 31-august 6 2004 shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Just a correction for all who are following this post...

C Egg Lofting Altitude (A Division Only) D Egg Lofting Altitude (B, C and Team Divisions) C Egg Lofting Duration (A Division Only) B Egg Lofting Duration (B, C and Team Divisions)

The dates for NARAM are July 31 - August 6, 2004

Great Meadow The Plains, Virginia

Jonathan Rains NAR 13911

Reply to
Jonathan Rains

yes july31st (obviously till the following friday)

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

Are they contest certified? if not, I'll be building for 18mm motors for these events.

Bob Kaplow

Trip is busy runing TARC 2004. Jonathan Rains will CD NARAM-46.

Bob Kaplow

And a very big detail also left out here...

For B division, LARGE CASH PRIZES for R&D. I didn't get all the numbers, but IIRC, it's $1000 for first, on down to at least 4th. Don't recall if it matched the NAR points for places. Donated by Bob Alway in memory of his father. And this is NOT a one time deal; Bob has donated enough to fund this for at least 3 years. In the same spirit that made TARC a success for high school kids.

Many thanks to Bob! I hope it starts off dozens of young rocketeers on their technical careers like it obviously did to Bob and myself.

Bob Kaplow

As I recall, the bucks mirror the points for placing, i.e.

1st $1000 2nd $600 3rd $400 4th $200 Qualifiers $100 - "as many as are deserving" which probably means anybody not DQ'd out of the box.

This is one of the best things to happen for youth R&D in a long time!

Reply to
Mark Johnson

I think its very generous and a great idea on BOB's part, but I also think that only those truly deserving reports should get any money, much less any points....... IF I was Bob, I would tighten up somewhat who's eligible here and who isn't....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Which of these two motors do you recommend for B SD? D ELA? There's not even a certified A booster motor or an upper stage motor to allow staging of mini As like we used to do for B Payload. Of all the events on the NARAM-46 schedule, the only one I can recall off the top of my head where I'll be using a 13mm motor is 1/2A HD.

Bob Kaplow

Based on my experience with the two standard R&D judges, Dr. Guzik and Dr. Beach, I'd leave it up to them to decide who gets honorable mention prizes and who dosen't.

Bob Kaplow

Probably not the ones we would want to use, like the A3-6t.

Reply to
Alan Jones

I think eligilibility should be as wide as possible. I think participatiuon points should be awarded for all entries not DQ'd, but I'd with hold the $100 awards for "honorable mentions" beyond the place finishers. Ya see, I'd like to see R&D participation at around

50-100%.

I'd say this is one of the best things to happen for the NAR since I've been a member. A huge thanks to Bob and the enire Alway family. I'll also urge the BOD to seek matching funds to estend it to other divisions, and to consider funding the cash awards beyond the three years.

Alan Jones, NAR 15578

Reply to
Alan Jones

That is welcome news. I was thinking of going to Indiana for just one day or evening. Normaly I would consider going just for R&D, but this year I would have had to protest or picket the treatment given to R&D, so I'd probably just go for the NAR meeting or RMR dinner. As it turned out, I did not go at all. Still, I'd like to know how R&D went. Was participation noticably up or down from recent years?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

alan; there was 2, count'em, 2 total entries.....does that answer your question? shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Up to 11 (I think that's where the money runs out) $100 "Honorable Mention" prizes go to reports that qualify, and that the judge deems are not just cynical attempts to technically qualify according to the pink book in order to get a hundred bucks. This is the only part that is not awarded on the basis of official results determined by the pink book.

I should add that while I am close to the source, I can't speak with authority--that's up to my brother.

Peter "Bob's little brother" Alway

Saturn Press PO Box 3709 Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3709

scale data at:

PeteAlway

Bob's worry is that there may be only 2 or 3 worthy reports, so that one or more of the top 4 places go to mediocre reports. But he figures that that just give B divisioners more incentive--"That piece of junk got a $200 prize? I could do better!" That is one reason he is funding it for three years--time enough for it to sink in that it's worth giving it a shot.

Get the word out to the B divisioners--there is a wad of cash out there just for them, and they have a real shot at it even if they aren't sure they are "worthy," and even if they aren't good enough for Shockie. All they have to do is come to NARAM with an R&D report.

Peter "Even after meeting 'Shockie' I picture him as looking like Shrox with his hair on end" Alway

Saturn Press PO Box 3709 Ann Arbor, MI 48106-3709

scale data at:

PeteAlway

problem is how do you define truly deserving while also acount for the skill of the one making the submission.

that only those truly deserving reports should get any

somewhat who's eligible here and who isn't....

Reply to
Chris Taylor Jr

This is Bob's doing, and I had nothing to do with it besides agreeing it is a good thing when he told me about it a few months ago. I'm just his little brother. Thanks go to Robert Alway exclusively. His bucks--his Buck Rogers.

Peter Alway