Fiberglass Instruction

I've covered a couple of airplanes with fiberglass but not really satisfied with the result. Does anyone know of a good instructional book, tape or DVD?

Thanks,

Reply to
Tom

refer to : Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

"Fibreglass, Carbon, Resin Moulding & Casting Cowls, Spats,Canopies "

See also "Mold, Cast & Vacuum Form items yourself" sub section below. Composites Information Covering Models With Fibreglass Cloth by Jim Ryan Fibreglass or make your own FG hull Fibreglass Techniques & Information FibreGlast.Com How To Articles = Spars, Molds, Parts, Skins & U/C How To = Ironsidz Model Car Tech - Resin Casting etc. Molded fuselage pictures The Cheap Little Sucker - make a vacuum pump Vacuum Bagging Wings Water based Polyurethane skin glassing

and "Covering Materials & Instructions" regards Alan T Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Here is a basic "How To" using 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz fiberglass cloth and polyurethane. This method has about 60% of the strength of a resin job, but only 1/2 the weight. It is SUBSTANTIALLY easier to sand and has the advantage of NO FUMES.

I am also enclosing a "How To" on painting with latex if you are interested.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Great info but I'm confused about the wood sealer...the 'commercial stuff' as you call it. Are you talking about laquer, enamel, water based...? ? ?

Jim Slaughter

snip

Just plain old sanding sealer. The purpose of it is to seal the wood to minimize absorption of a finish coat of paint/varnish/polyurethane/etc.

Around here it is usually referred to as wood sealer. The can I grabbed happened to be MinWax brand, but there are other brands also. (a 1 quart can is going to last me for AWHILE on 60 size planes :-) )

Reply to
Ted Campanelli