Monocote or whatever hinges

When I was a teenager flying control line- Bronze wires, other metals had not been discovered yet, control line because radio had not been discovered yet- silkspan or (preferably cotton) cloth strips from an old shirt were the hinges of choice for the elevator. Nothing else on those planes moved of course, except maybe the monkey turning the propellor crank. ASPCA had not been invented yet either, so it was OK to use a monkey. The bits of an old shirt were regarded as better than the hinges from the hobby shop because the cloth was cheaper, held up better, and eliminated air through the hinge line that was known to cause many problems.

Reply to
Charlie

. Nothing else on those

I had monkeys to swim for my lil swamp buggy back in the late 70s. I had a small problem with the powers that be before they told her (Mom) that they really did WANT to swim for the boat! mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

Charlie --

I remember that technique well. Then we went on to C/L speed models and made our own "piano-style" hinges by attaching short (1/2") lengths of 1/16" brass tubing alternating between elevator and stab -- they were attached with bits of silk and Ambroid glue. After finishing, the 1/32" wire rod was inserted.

All I can say is thank God for CA hinges! :-)

Reply to
Lyman Slack

I'm with you, Lyman.

I never went the wire and tubing way, but I got sick of glueing (Ambroid) pieces of fabric onto the horizontal stabilizer and elevator in order to affect a hinge.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Nemo