New Fields at Airports

Hi, All,

I'm moving to western Montana next year, and there are no AMA clubs/fields close by. (I checked) There is a small general aviation airport, no tower, that gets little use at Polson, MT. Has anyone any experience with flying RC Planes at a full scale airport, likely at one end, or a taxiway?

Is it done anywhere?

Does the FAA get involved? (Likely is my guess)

Liability?

Monitor Unicom for full scale coordination?

Thanks for your input and discussion.

Regards,

Rich Low time pilot, world class navigator

Reply to
rich

I seem to recall something about it not being considered cool these days, thanks to anti-terrorist rules (not model flying specifically, but anything not full-scale aviation related in general).

I'd look for a hobby shop somewhere within 50 miles, and ask there. The place is sparsely enough populated that if you can't just fly out of your back yard you should be able to ask a property owner for permission and go fly, or find some BLM land or something.

Oh -- if you haven't bought a back yard yet consider one big enough for flying at least small planes. Even when you have a regular flying field it's nice to go flying when you just have 10 minutes to spare.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Reply to
Troy Stark

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

I know of at least one uncontrolled airport in the California Central Valley that has RC model aircraft on the field. The unofficial procedure for full size aircraft is one pass over the field about 1000 ft agl and return for landing. If there are RC flyers there they will land and get out of the way.

Don't know for sure, I never asked. (I was flying full size). I would suspect you should contact the field owner first for permission, and see if FAA gets involved after that.

I'm not sure how the AMA insurance would look at this. It would be best to contact them before you approach the field owner.

Definitely. However most full size pilots will assume you are not monitoring CTAF/Unicom and may not announce their intentions, even though they should whether the filed is occupied or not.

Ron Kelley

Reply to
OP

I'm curious why you would want to do this in (likely) the one place that might cause a conflict of any kind. (I picture Montana as a wide open, largely unpopulated area. That's likely wrong near any resembling a "metro center", but that's the mental image that comes to mind.)

Reply to
Mike Young

Yeh... do it here all the time. ...Well not right here, but north of here....

Airport has about 5 full size ops /day, R/C flown during the day...

Airport has ARCAL (lights controlled by the full size aircraft pilot). I have flown in with our aircraft to R/C gatherings several times. Lights come on, models land/clear rny, - full size land or takeoff, clear area, R/C resumes.

Been that way for many years.. no issues...

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Mr experience is that every square inch of land that you might set your gaze upon is owned by someone. No matter how careful you might be you'll inevitably infuriate the owner just by your presence! Even if you're lucky enough to get permission, the owner will eventually boot you off. Psychologically, he'll feel you're taking something from him without paying for it.

Your best bet is to buy or rent some land that is suitable for flying. Just make sure it is out of earshot of some neighbor who might complain about the noise. BTW, you could start your own club!

Ciao,

Mr Akimoto

Reply to
Mr Akimoto

I have a local field about 18 miles away but there is a little used airport

Reply to
Brad Darnell

Brad,

You can always offer the airport some form of use fee! Even if it's a token $5, that still means you've paid for the use of the place.

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Many thanks for all the ideas. It sounds like it might work, and I will be talking to the airport people when I go out in December.

One of the things I was looking for in a house was room for a backyard airport, but the trees and 4 car garage won out! There are some areas, private land, that might be for rent, but then you have the cost of maintaining a grass runway. Might be a tad expensive for one person, hence the envy of a paved taxiway.

Since there are no AMA clubs within 50 miles, starting a new one is not out of the question.

I'll post what I find out in December when I get back. Thanks again.

Rich Beauchamp Low time pilot, World Class Navigator.....

Reply to
rich

Reply to
Brad Darnell