soldering gun

Hey all,
I have been struggling with a small electric plane over the past few
weeks. It seems as though i lack the gentle touch these models
require. In turn, I spend a lot of down time have the model re-wired.
Are there any small soldering guns the someone can reccomend....If so,
what are some other toold that may make my life a little easier?
-KB
Reply to
Kevin
I find soldering guns somewhat limited. I prefer a good 40 watt iron with a 1/4 inch chisel tip and for small work an 1/8" chiseled tip. A good iron is a Weller SP40L for all round light duty work, for finer work you might find the SP23L with 1/8" dia pencil tip very useful. Neither of these come with a big price tag and replacement tips are readily available. Keep the tip well tinned an redress or replace when it becomes pitted.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
Use an old tip to make a foam cutter, cut a slot in it and then insert a piece of brass sheeting thick enough so it won't collapse and cut away. You can also drill a couple of 1/16" holes in a flattened section of an old iron tip and put in any special cutter shape you want formed from 1/16 steel welding rod inserted in the old tip and crimped there.
Red S.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
I have used #12 house wire with my old Weller soldering gun for cutting channels into foam, etc.
Some pencil type soldering irons will accept an X-acto knife blade holder and #11 blade (other types too, obviously). You can then use a light dimmer to control the heat of the soldering iron.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
| I have been struggling with a small electric plane over the past few | weeks. It seems as though i lack the gentle touch these models | require. In turn, I spend a lot of down time have the model re-wired.
What exactly are you soldering? I've not found the need to do too much soldering to put together a plane.
The things you do solder are connectors onto their wires, ESCs to motors and battery packs. And sometimes you'll resolder an antenna onto a RX or fix a bad solder joint in the RX, stuff like that.
Except for the last one (i.e. soldering inside the RX), you really don't want a small soldering iron -- you want something a little bigger so you have plenty of heat and can get the job done quickly. It's taking a long time that ruins stuff, not using an iron that's too big.
Also, you might be using the term gun when you mean iron, but really, for most things, a soldering iron is better than a soldering gun.
Whatever you're soldering, keeping the tip clean is key so that heat will flow quickly.
| Are there any small soldering guns the someone can reccomend....If so, | what are some other toold that may make my life a little easier?
Sometimes flux will help, to help clean things before you solder ...
Having some sort of jig or `3rd hand' sort of setup to hold the things you're soldering is useful.
Reply to
Doug McLaren

Site Timeline