wing leading edge question

And let us know how the experiment turns out!
I haven't built the kit, so I've been picturing your leading edge as if it were a rectangle that stood on its small side with the long side butted up against the ribs. If it's that system, you'd have to remove the covering pretty entirely to sand the airfoil shape into it.
If, instead, your piece of balsa is a square piece that is glued into notches in the ribs, so that a pointy edge is your leading edge, you may be able to sand the covering off just the pointy part, along with the unwanted balsa, and then just wrap a 1" strip around the leading edge. If you're working with something like Monokote, it will blend in very nicely with the original covering. Or you could use a contrasting color as if you intended it as part of the color scheme from the very beginning.
                Marty

Or, if you are brave, you can scab on another peice of square stock and sand IT to shape...
So sayeth the voice of laziness.

I hope you folks realize that I have never admitted to doing something that stupid before in a public forum.
To this day, I cannot understand why I did that. Work overload, I suppose. One thing I have misremembered is that the flat spot wasn't as wide as I first described it. It might have been a 1/4" or so.
The point of the confession was that you can make some pretty major mistakes - and then pay the price for making them. But it flew like a scalded cat - briefly.
Ed Cregger