Dimscale Zero

I notice that in AutoCAD 14, exiting the Dimension Style dialog box often (and for no obvious reason) resets the Overall Scale factor (Dimscale) to
zero.
A lot of my lisp routines use the current value of Dimscale to perform some mathematical function, usually division. When Dimscale is zero, the routines crash out with a 'Divide by zero' error.
I have added a 'Dimscale Zero' error check to my lisp routines now, but my question is, under what conditions would the Overall Scale factor (Dimscale) ever be zero? Is zero ever a valid setting?
--
Mike
-Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your

sizes, and other scaled distances to plot at their face values. DIMSCALE does not affect tolerances or measured lengths, coordinates, or angles. ********
snipped-for-privacy@jet.uk (mlv) wrote:

Brian Salt wrote:

Yes, I had read that.
What I couldn't comprehend was under what circumstances would 0 (zero) be a valid Overall Scale factor for a drawing. -- Mike -Please remove 'safetycatch' from e-mail address before firing off your reply-
snipped-for-privacy@jet.uk (mlv) wrote:

I've tried messing with it set to zero and switching between model and paper space with a viewport and, so far, have not sussed what's what!
I thought that with it set to zero, then dimensions in model space would be automatically adjusted, when in a paper space viewport, to suit the zoom factor, thus avoiding the dimension characters becoming giants.
Hmm.
<FX> Waiting for someone else to chip in...
Brian.
That will work as expected if you dimension while in the paperspace viewport. If you dimension while in model space and then switch to paperspace at some scale other than 1, you have to update all the dimensions.