Annealing a rail

I have a piece of railroad rail that I may use for making a little homemade anvil (just a fun project with scrap materials such as that
rail and 4140 bars). That rail is a light gauge rail, maybe from a tram line or a factory railroad, I am not sure.
To weld on a 4140 bar, I suppose, it is best to flatten the rail's top.
Since it may be work hardened (I suppose I could check that with a regular file), I suppose that it would be wise to anneal it, by, say, putting it in a decent wood fire and then, once it gets hot, into sand such as that on my kids' playground.
I would have sent this to you off-list, but it appears from your address that it wouldn't get to you and I couldn't figure out how to decode it, so:
Where abouts do you live?
Since it appears that you really do want some sort of anvil, there is another source to consider. That is the "doorstop" anvil. A "doorstop" anvil is one that is so badly damaged that its only valid use is as a doorstop. There are lots of them around. I bought one for $25 at the LaCrosse ABANA conference just because it was sooooo bad. But, for a guy who is dead-set on welding a new face onto something, this may be the way to go. Just try to avoid the cast iron doorstop anvil.
Ignoramus5425 wrote:

25 miles west of Chicago, IL. I do not mind receiving mail, as such, but I try to spamproof my address. I receive mail at ichudov AT algebra DOT com.

Sounds interesting and I will look for one, though I have not seen one yet.
Plenty of blacksmiths with extra stuff in that area. I would contact UMBA or IVBA. They both have newsletters and they are usually allowing classified ads.
Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association:
Ed: Steve White PO Box 507 Killduff, IA 50137 (641) 798-4501 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
www.umbaonline.org ---------------------------
Illinois Valley Blacksmith Association:
Ed: John R. Lovin 21735 E. Bakerville Road Belle Rive, IL 62810 (618) 756-2331 snipped-for-privacy@hamiltoncom.net
www.illinoisblacksmith.org ---------------------------------- The above info for the US and Canada can be found at abana.org.
I was born and raised in Rockford, Il. Now live about 40 miles east of St. Paul, Mn.
Pete Stanaitis
Ignoramus5425 wrote:

Gday Iggy, I found this thread on the Alex Bealer site, thought it might be useful to you. Its related to fixing/repairing an anvil http://alexbealer.org/node/1914
Regards Rusty_iron
Ignoramus5425 wrote:

Rusty, that's a great page.
What do you think about buying this Russian anvil, and hardfacing it with a hardfacing rod. I have 20 lbs of Cobalarc 9 hardfacing rod (well, will get it in a day or two) that I got for not too much. It is a very tough rod with a lot of chrome content, with hardness of 60-62 RC, used on crushers, tampers, big teeth etc. I spoke with its manufacturer, they say that it should work in an anvil, but I wanted to double check.
It would not be terribly hard to grind it, I have a variety of grinders, 4.5", 7", and a 3 HP 3 phase behcn grinder that could be somehow adapted t grinding an anvil.
Hey Iggy, found this too: http://alexbealer.org/node?from  check out the bladesmiths home made anvil. (thats page 2 on the alexbealer site if the link don't work)
Rusty_iron