Completed very first project!

New pictures of my work (DSC00058.jpg) at my web site: http://valhalla.zeroimpact.org/rvb01/blacksmith/pics /
Well, after two forging sessions I've learned a lot about what NOT to do
and have managed to make myself a fire rake.
It ain't pretty, but it works...for now. As I get better, I'll make another one. I think it would have been much easier had I started with a piece of stock closer to the shape I wanted; about 28" of 1/2" round stock would have been nice. :)
Thanks to all of you who have been answering my silly newbie questions. I really appreciate it. I guess the important thing to note here is that I've been beating on some iron, learning about my fire, and haven't gotten lynched by my neighbors...yet (I live in a subdivision hehe). Oh, and I'm also learning about clinkers...porous, hard, nasty, non-combustible things!
rvb
--
"Open debate is a useful tool in any civilised society,
but a smack in the gob takes less explaining."

I agree! I enjoyed looking at your pictures and observing the work you did. Have fun! Rick
Rhbuxton wrote:

Well thanks for the encouragement Iron Ed and Rick. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. As I forge more I'll put more pictures up and try and make it a more enjoyable site.
rvb
--
"Open debate is a useful tool in any civilised society,
but a smack in the gob takes less explaining."
Incredible pictures! Thanks for sharing them. Awesome...keep it up, and keep posting those project pics! Indy

Your doing great!Experience IS the best teacher.