Good Lecture?

Hi,
has anyone read the books "Knifemaking: A Complete Guide to Crafting Knives, Handles & Sheaths" by Bo
Bergman or "Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It!" or "The Artist Blacksmith: Design and Techniques" by Peter Hubert Parkin? (all three found at www.amazon.at)
I'm a complete beginner and would like to know if these books can help me to gain the necessary knowledge to craft knifes and later maybe larger blades.
greets, Thomas
I have never read any of those but I can recommend the following free information for beginning knifemaking.
Read the two top forum topics on this forum site http://www.ckdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid  Then after reading those buy the recommended books.
It would also be a smart move to sign up for a free account and join in the conversations in the many knifemaking forums located there. The main forum page is at www.ckdforums.com and has many different knifemaking forums. All dedicated to custom knives (not factory).
Hope to see you there.
Bob
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:35:56 +0100, Thomas Klima

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 07:06:12 -0600 oso snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

An excellent link, thank you
greets, Thomas

I have Bo Bergman's book, it's unbeatable for learning to make hidden tang handles, but assumes you already have a blade. For a beginner, Wayne Goddards "$50 Knife Shop" is excellent.
-- Bill H. Member VRWC
Molon Labe!
[my "reply to" address is real]
You don't need to forge to make blades, but if you want to forge blades join your local ABANA chapter and learn to forge and more than likely there will be someone there who will help you to get past the initial discouraging bits Doug

Bo Bergman or

to gain

I am totally new at this as well. I am starting a blacksmithing class at my local ABANA chapter in two weeks. I just read "Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It" and found it to be very informative. I expect that I can at least make something based on it, and practice should make the results better. Good luck! Dan