Good Lecture?

Hi,

has anyone read the books "Knifemaking: A Complete Guide to Crafting Knives, Handles & Sheaths" by Bo Bergman or "Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It!" or "The Artist Blacksmith: Design and Techniques" by Peter Hubert Parkin? (all three found at

I'm a complete beginner and would like to know if these books can help me to gain the necessary knowledge to craft knifes and later maybe larger blades.

greets, Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Klima

I have never read any of those but I can recommend the following free information for beginning knifemaking.

Read the two top forum topics on this forum site

after reading those buy the recommended books.

It would also be a smart move to sign up for a free account and join in the conversations in the many knifemaking forums located there. The main forum page is at

and has many different knifemaking forums. All dedicated to custom knives (not factory).

Hope to see you there.

Bob

Reply to
oso_bob

An excellent link, thank you

greets, Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Klima

Thomas Klima Spaketh Thusly:

I have Bo Bergman's book, it's unbeatable for learning to make hidden tang handles, but assumes you already have a blade. For a beginner, Wayne Goddards "$50 Knife Shop" is excellent.

-- Bill H. Member VRWC

Molon Labe!

[my "reply to" address is real]
Reply to
Bill

Reply to
da.roberts

I am totally new at this as well. I am starting a blacksmithing class at my local ABANA chapter in two weeks. I just read "Step-By-Step Knifemaking: You Can Do It" and found it to be very informative. I expect that I can at least make something based on it, and practice should make the results better. Good luck! Dan

Reply to
bikeman