Molecular Bonding...

I'm a kind of renaissance guy...haven't gotten into metal-work as of yet, but it facinates me...as do most of the Arts.
A few years back (my brain stores information but omits the sources) I saw a news clip about a technology that "rubbed" sheets of metal together. Apparently, it would molecularly bond two sheets of metal into one without leaving any seam. Looked great for ship building or for space application...underwater dynamics, etc.
I was reading the "New forge design" thread...was highly intrigued. Would you guys give me some information resources, both online and print that will allow me to understand the theory and application of metallurgy?
Cheers, K-

The only time I've seen that is when a guy didn't know that front wheel bearings need to be re-packed ever once in a while. ;)

ATP's "Metallurgy Theory and Practice" by Dell K. Allen 1969 ISBN: 0-8269-3500-1
ASM's "Metals Handbook, Desk Edition" will do, read the full sized version at the library. ;)
ASM's "Tool Steels" they've got a new one out, mine's the "older" one by Robert's and Cary
Carpenter Steel's "Tool Steel Simplified" by Palmer (mine is 1937;)
Krause's "$50 knife shop" by Wayne Goddard
Blacksmithing books? ...I would like to see a list of those myself. :)
Alvin in AZ
There is a process called "Friction Stir Welding". It joins closely fitted and tightly clamped sheets.
As I understand it, a rotating tool is rubbed over the joint. The friction causes to heat up. Although the joint doesn't reach the melting temp, the heat it does reach combined with the pressure of the expanding metal is enough to create solid phase welding.
Paul K. Dickman

You are talking about diffusion bonding. Before we were in space there was concern that metals might stick together in the vacuum of space. Various alloys and intermediate layers have been used to facilitate this process. Do a search on Difussion bonding Something like forge welding at room temperatures is the concept but there are lots of complications. Randy