3M double-sided tape

I've used tape before to hold stock to a fixturing plate, so I know this method works for holding raw stock. What I don't know is any of the technical specs. These were based on holding plate to plate, aluminum plate base holding a variety of materials, mostly aluminum, but also ABS, Delrin, REN, Polycarbonate, and the like, no steel, so no exotic alloys. I did all this with strips of 1" wide double sided tape, sometimes full coverage, sometimes half. What I have no idea of is which, of the hundreds of such tapes 3M sells, would be adequate for my purposes. Also, coolant's involved, esp for aluminum. Anyone use such a tape? I'm on a number hunt. ENGINEERING! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. It's our daily bread, the bed we lie on, the air we breathe, the car we drive in, the food we eat, the house we live in, the products we buy.
David Janes
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't believe it- you're dreaming
Add pictures here
βœ–
tape before to hold stock to a fixturing plate, so I know this method works for holding raw stock. What I don't know is any of the technical specs. These were based on holding plate to plate, aluminum plate base holding a variety of materials, mostly aluminum, but also ABS, Delrin, REN, Polycarbonate, and the like, no steel, so no exotic alloys. I did all this with strips of 1" wide double sided tape, sometimes full coverage, sometimes half. What I have no idea of is which, of the hundreds of such tapes 3M sells, would be adequate for my purposes. Also, coolant's involved, esp for aluminum. Anyone use such a tape? I'm on a number hunt. ENGINEERING! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. It's our daily bread, the bed we lie on, the air we breathe, the car we drive in, the food we eat, the house we live in, the products we buy.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; David Janes<BR><BR>I don't believe it- you're dreaming</BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Hey, maybe. I'm probably dreaming that I worked for years as a model maker at Motorola, too. That model shop SEEMED pretty real!!</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–

I don't use the 3M stuff. I use Permacel P-02. Works fine under coolant if the immersion times aren't too long, but you also need to check with your coolant and your concentration - some have more "solvent" power than others. Also need sufficient area to tape down (small parts can fly). Large areas can be very difficult to remove if completely coated with tape. Alcohol generally loosens the tape's grip.
P-02 can be had at KR anderson and a number of other places.
http://www.kranderson.com/shop/Permacel/PCP02-IN8/PERMACEL-P-02-1-INCH-X-36-YDS
http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id 0&setscreen=1&width28&height“0
--moi
Add pictures here
βœ–
tape before to hold stock to a fixturing plate, so I know this <BR>&gt; method works for holding raw stock. What I don't know is any of the <BR>&gt; technical specs. These were based on holding plate to plate, aluminum <BR>&gt; plate base holding a variety of materials, mostly aluminum, but also ABS, <BR>&gt; Delrin, REN, Polycarbonate, and the like, no steel, so no exotic alloys. I <BR>&gt; did all this with strips of 1" wide double sided tape, sometimes full <BR>&gt; coverage, sometimes half. What I have no idea of is which, of the hundreds <BR>&gt; of such tapes 3M sells, would be adequate for my purposes. Also, coolant's <BR>&gt; involved, esp for aluminum. Anyone use such a tape? I'm on a number hunt. <BR>&gt; ENGINEERING! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. It's our daily bread, the bed we <BR>&gt; lie on, the air we breathe, the car we drive in, the food we eat, the <BR>&gt; house we live in, the products we buy.<BR><BR>I don't use the 3M stuff.&nbsp; I use Permacel P-02.&nbsp; Works fine under coolant if <BR>the immersion times aren't too long, but you also need to check with your <BR>coolant and your concentration - some have more "solvent" power than others. <BR>Also need sufficient area to tape down (small parts can fly).&nbsp; Large areas <BR>can be very difficult to remove if completely coated with tape.&nbsp; Alcohol <BR>generally loosens the tape's grip.<BR><BR>P-02 can be had at KR anderson and a number of other places.<BR><BR><A href="http://www.kranderson.com/shop/Permacel/PCP02-IN8/PERMACEL-P-02-1-INCH-X-36-YDS ">http://www.kranderson.com/shop/Permacel/PCP02-IN8/PERMACEL-P-02-1-INCH-X-36-YDS </A><BR><BR><A href="http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=190&amp ;setscreen=1&amp;width=1428&amp;height=930">http://www.findtape.com/shop/product.aspx?id=190&amp ;setscreen=1&amp;width=1428&amp;height=930</A><BR><BR>--moi <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Thanks for another manufacturer and releasing agent. I'll give them a call.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.
wrote:

I don't believe it- you're dreaming
Add pictures here
βœ–
<DIV>442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M <BR>double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Thanks, I'll check it out.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
<DIV>442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M <BR>double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Thanks, I'll check it out.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Well, Mike, we tried those numbers, didn't check out. Can you ask the guy that orders the stuff?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Much appreciated,</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
<DIV>442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M <BR>double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Thanks, I'll check it out.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Well, Mike, we tried those numbers, didn't check out. Can you ask the guy that orders the stuff?</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Much appreciated,</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Here is a link to a 3M 442KW tape sold in different widths. This might be the one in question.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="http://www.rshughes.com/catalog/352170.html ">http://www.rshughes.com/catalog/352170.html </A></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
David,
I can't find the order now, buts suspect it might have been one of these on page 3361 of their on-line catalog:
High Shear Strength
1?2 . . . . 36 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .75955A671. . 11.41 3?4 . . . . 36 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .75955A672. . 15.21 1 . . . . . 36 . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .75955A673. . 19.02
<DIV>442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M <BR>double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Thanks, I'll check it out.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Well, Mike, we tried those numbers, didn't check out. Can you ask the guy that orders the stuff?</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Much appreciated,</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Here is a link to a 3M 442KW tape sold in different widths. This might be the one in question.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="http://www.rshughes.com/catalog/352170.html ">http://www.rshughes.com/catalog/352170.html </A></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
<DIV>442KW 6312 - 0085 OPR#042 - that's the number on a couple of rolls of 3M <BR>double-sided tape bought from McMaster-Carr.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Thanks, I'll check it out.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Well, Mike, we tried those numbers, didn't check out. Can you ask the guy that orders the stuff?</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Much appreciated,</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Here is a link to a 3M 442KW tape sold in different widths. This might be the one in question.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A href="http://www.rshughes.com/catalog/352170.html ">http://www.rshughes.com/catalog/352170.html </A></FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <DIV>Thanks again. What do you use if for? How well does it work? </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
David, worked as a Model Maker for years at a competitor of Motorola. Any way I used a 2" wide double sided tape from 3M. looked at the roll but there is no part number on it. Used it when making aluminum flat pattens for sheet metal parts. Dam stuff stuck so good you couldn't get the parts off the table if you used too much.
--
--------------------------------------------------------------------- "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!"
Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-spam software available. http://mail.spaminspector.com

Can you call 3M ? They should be able to get your number, pretty quick!
Add pictures here
βœ–
tape before to hold stock to a fixturing plate, so I know this method works for holding raw stock. What I don't know is any of the technical specs. These were based on holding plate to plate, aluminum plate base holding a variety of materials, mostly aluminum, but also ABS, Delrin, REN, Polycarbonate, and the like, no steel, so no exotic alloys. I did all this with strips of 1" wide double sided tape, sometimes full coverage, sometimes half. What I have no idea of is which, of the hundreds of such tapes 3M sells, would be adequate for my purposes. Also, coolant's involved, esp for aluminum. Anyone use such a tape? I'm on a number hunt. ENGINEERING! IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS. It's our daily bread, the bed we lie on, the air we breathe, the car we drive in, the food we eat, the house we live in, the products we buy.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; David Janes<BR><BR>Can you call 3M ?<BR>They should be able to get your number, pretty quick!</BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>I'm going that route, as well. Finally got past the sales order people, got to "technical support", presented my case and got some suggestions. They're sending some samples. Which means I really won't know anything until I set up some tests, blah, blah, blah. And one of the PMs asks me, once again, what's the hold up and I have to explain that I'm learning NC g-code programming and I'm calibrating a replacement stylus for the one I busted on the new Renishaw OMP-2 probe and I'm testing tape and his eyes are glazing over while he's mumbling something about finding an outside vendor...&nbsp; Well, I'll continue down that route, but only because I don't know the part number of the tape I should be using.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
David Janes, the Pro/E guru. Fancy seeing you here at AMC.
I've started using something called Mitee-Grip, which is a heat activated adhesive film. You heat your part when you're done to pull it off. I've even used it in limited production of parts with low surface area without too much problem.
I also like super glue. It is strong and stiff, but when you get under it with a chisel if pops off clean. I use a piece of high density REN (5169) that is bolted to the table and given a skim cut. The glue usually sticks to it better than the metal or plastic part, so the part usually pops off clean. Then I just face it again for the next part. I've milled everything from PVC to stainless steel this way.
I'm no eggspurt, just my .02...
Add pictures here
βœ–
Polymer Man wrote:

I got something like that from McMaster-Carr. I didn't try it but my co-worker didn't like it for some reason. We usually heat an aluminum plate and apply hot-melt glue stick to it then weigh down the part until cool. RR
Add pictures here
βœ–
Man wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; I've started using something called Mitee-Grip, which is a heat<BR>&gt; activated adhesive film. You heat your part when you're done to pull<BR>&gt; it off. I've even used it in limited production of parts with low<BR>&gt; surface area without too much problem.<BR>&gt;<BR><BR>I got something like that from McMaster-Carr. I didn't try it but my <BR>co-worker didn't like it for some reason. We usually heat an aluminum <BR>plate and apply hot-melt glue stick to it then weigh down the part until <BR>cool.<BR>RR<BR></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Interesting, sounds like a Home Depot solution. Do you get the part off the same way, with heat?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–
<DIV>David Janes, the Pro/E guru. Fancy seeing you here at AMC.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>I got stuck with setting up a model shop, otherwise you probably wouldn't see me around AMC. I was there a while ago asking about a post processor for a Bridgeport XV-710 with a Fanuc 0i-MC controller (with less success).</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV><BR><BR>I've started using something called Mitee-Grip, which is a heat<BR>activated adhesive film. You heat your part when you're done to pull<BR>it off. I've even used it in limited production of parts with low<BR>surface area without too much problem.<BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>I heard of this stuff a long time ago, never tried it so thanks for the reminder.</DIV> <DIV><A href="http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html ">http://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee_grip_e.html </A></DIV> <DIV>This says heat on an electric hot plate or griddle. How do you heat yours? The safety committee would probably be less concerned with a heat gun than a hot plate.</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><BR>I also like super glue. It is strong and stiff, but when you get under<BR>it with a chisel if pops off clean. I use a piece of high density REN<BR>(5169) that is bolted to the table and given a skim cut. The glue<BR>usually sticks to it better than the metal or plastic part, so the<BR>part usually pops off clean. Then I just face it again for the next<BR>part. I've milled everything from PVC to stainless steel this way.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE> <DIV>Gluing to REN sounds like a good idea. When I tried it a couple months ago, I glued an aluminum block to an aluminum plate. It was a bitch to get off and left most of the glue on the part. The piece I made was a "brick",&nbsp;but for thin bottomed parts, I anticipated bending problems. Maybe the REN base plate would take care of that. I just got the REN for exactly that purpose so I'll have to test a variety of adhesion methods.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>David Janes</DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
Add pictures here
βœ–

sorry, but I can't imagine how you would negotiate all the problems machining with tape to hold your part;
Add pictures here
βœ–