Ballnose for aluminum

Does anyone know where to get a good 0.5"dia long ballnose for aluminum? I need minimum 1.5" flute, 2.4" out of a holder. I tried using Kennametal carbide ballnose because we had couple of them but they chatter and plug up with aluminum because of their geometry. Hopefully some place that delivers fast. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

beleive it or not, Mcmaster-carr, they ship either niagra, garr, or ultra tool

Reply to
"D"

We use Garr cutters over here. Quite decent quality for a reasonable price. They do a coated grade for Al-Alloys.

Reply to
Wayne Weedon

Reply to
Just Me

I just looked at Mcmaster-carr and was surprised at some of the tools they carry. A lot of ballnoses in 1/16th increments. Often I looked for a cutter just smaller than my corner rad to avoid chatter in the corners. Thanks

beleive it or not, Mcmaster-carr, they ship either niagra, garr, or ultra tool

Reply to
Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

If you want to hot rod your cad cam in aluminum then you need to learn how to limit your z ramp angle amount or else learn how to offhand grind so as to to incorporate a copious and freely flowing gullet geometry into any of manufacturer's cutters because basically ALL of them are lamers as far as volumetric removal rates are concerned IMO.

One other thing--with water soluble coolant do not under any circumstance let a mass of hot chips build up in the cutting one--because once steam occurs then thermal model can not carry away anywhere near as much heat because the attendant volumetric expansion impedes the ingress of the liquid medium.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT