Coolant and a new Machine...

I've upgraded my hobby CNC capability from a Taig to a TorMach PCNC1100

I'm in the process of setting it up so I can't really answer any questions about it yet. I bought the mill with the base and flood coolant system. I've never used a flood coolant system before and I have several questions:

The coolant bottle I bought says 4 oz/gal of water or 8oz/gal for heavy duty use. I live about 1 Mile from the beach in So Cal and everything I own rusts. Would I see any benifit in running the coolant with even less dilution? Is there any upper limit dilution?

How often should the coolant be changed? (Calandar time, not run time as I'll probably use the machine 1 or 2 hours a week.)

Paul

Reply to
pbreed

Good tips!

I'd also add that if you're not going to use the machine much, then get a fish tank air bubbler to keep oxygen flowing through the coolant. Alternately, make a point to turn on the machine every day and run the coolant for an hour.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Accuosti

I've been using Blaser 2000 Universal and have had zero coolant problems. No rust no smell. I haven't changed coolant in my lathe for years now. I just keep adding to replace dragout.

I recommended Blasers to another person who was having rancidity problems and his problems have been greatly reduced.

A skimmer helps and a refractometer is essential to keep the coolant at the right concentration

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Paul,

Use the high concentration.

I have been using both Hangsterfers 506 (IIRC) and Syntilo 9913 (IIRC) for years and have never had a rancidity problem. It only comes in 5 gallon buckets, so that would probably be a lifetime supply for you. the nice thing about the syntilo is that it is a synthetic and is water clear.

I think you can buy rust inhibiting blocks that you put in your toolbox to keep rust away. Maybe you can get a bunch of them and just keep them around the shop/garage.

ca

snipped-for-privacy@netburner.com wrote:

Reply to
clay

Tom, Did you miss the air stone in my message?

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

Reminds me--I have a full bucket of Syntilo 9954 that I won't be using...

If anyone wants it then just pay the shipping, else come by and get it--IOW: FREE for the taking...( first come first served, of course )

Recalling that it's primarily for ferrous, but you should be able to find more info at the Castrol site.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I got stoned and I mist it....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Triethylamine, IIRC...it goes by several other names also--very, very cheap if your buying it in a concentrated form by the pail for like...say...soapmaking...or somesuch....

Regardless, your probly paying WAY too much if you're buying it branded with the Castrol label.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

PrecisionMachinisT

I had to quit using it--mostly because of formation of insoluble soaps,. given the hard water we have here....a tenacious scum / film began to develop everywhere....

Couple that with an affinity for nitrogen and the subsequent formation of nitrosamines ( which are highly carcinogenic )...and...well, you should get the picture by now....

Nice stuff though...in that you can basically flush it down the toilet as though it were shampoo...

And then considering that it actually really does excell in the high speed cutting of aluminum alloys in fact....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT