D-2 Grinding Yuck

Yes D-2 sucks, Like dude said, you have to push it. As far as wheels, blue 46h SG Nortons work good. Now here's something that really helps If you can get a variable speed controller to control your Wheel speed. You want to slow down your wheel, not speed up! Keep your heat down... And also Plunge grind and move across. Also try a 60h wheel. D-2 will glaze your wheel so get under the skin. Thats it.

Reply to
mdlmark

NO.....That's not it damnit! D2 sucks, lets finish this damn thread!

I got a blue norton 46 (I love norton), use it for copper electrodes and aluminum and used to use it for chrome plating before someone gave me a pink norton ceramic wheel. WOW. I wish they would let me have that wheel for general purpose....anyway,.......................

D2 is hard as hell. A couple of extra rockwell's equals a lot of wear. D2 is uaually 58-62. Sucks to side wheel. So far for general purpose in my world has been an 80 grit, maybe a J hardness or harder, dresses fine. (Dressing accounts for half of how the wheel will act). But then the last place I worked ground these medical tips using one pass on D2, silicon carbide wheel, 40 parts, 1 dress, 1 tenth? So I guess it depends on a million things like it always has.

Rigidity.... Is it a dedtru or a flat grinding op? Or is it in a spinner? Is it a floor or a sidewall? Is it a one pass cnc op or a manual rough/finish op?

I say this, expect your wheel to wear. Here's a trick that helps me...

Dress it rough, and dress it smooth! lol Touch off with a sharp diamond. If it's not sharp rub two diamonds together, or if you have only one diamond, hit it lightly a "bunch" of times with a steel hammer. A piece will break off microscopically making sharp edges. First of all make a few quick dresses, a few grand deep, deeper than at least the deepest cut the wheel has taken in the past. (Get under the embedded stuff). Dress it smooth, dress it slow. What your trying to do it make more cutting surface. Dressing it smooth could easily create twice the wear surface. Ok, now after dressing off .005-.010 real fine, you need to sharpen the wheel. Drop down a couple of tenths, and crank across relatively fast, .2-.3 a second. This will sharpen the stones. Wait a few seconds, then run back the same speed.

Now you have a sharp wheel, that's clean, and has the maximum surface of cut resulting in the least wear.

THAT'S FOR FLAT GRINDING! Side wheel grinding is a different story If anybody cares we can walk down that road, if not, just ignore this post.

Awe hell, I've had a few, i'm not stopping.

For side wheel, For D2 dress a negative 1 degree angle on the wheel for side dressing. 1.5 degree max. Dress the bottom super slow to make the edge as dense as possible. Use an 80J. Or if you have access to orange wheels, a 120k is a nice wheel. Try to use a 1/2" wheel, a 1/4" wheel will flex. Do not use a 220Q, or some ridiculious wheel. Or the 38A400Z i found today(holy ridiculous bat man), they are so hard it's impossible to dress right. For slightly less harder, 40-60rc, dress a negative -2 degrees.

When side wheeling act like your polishing, move across fast, making hatches, then go slow and grind off the meat between the hatches. And blow the wheel out with an air hose between roughing and finishing.

D2 will bow down to your wims! Girly man steel!

Reply to
vinny