First Kaizen Event

Well it happened. My first Kaizen event. Actually nothing more than brainstorming a casting part. What we had was a 6 operation onesy type batch process. After looking at the casting and the finish blueprint we reduced it to 3 cnc operations and 2 manual operations. All the machines are already arranged in a cell configuration, one operator, pull system. It turns out the machine shop was fixing the castings before machining them. Big waste. Pre qualify castings before machining sounds like a no brainer, but there is the we have always done it this way syndrome. Our benchmark shows an hour of reduced wasted time. Pretty cool stuff. And it isn't magic, just common sense and elimination of waste taken to an extreme level. Big success, customer is happy.

Reply to
Bill

But if you call the process Kaizen, and call the shop floor plan Feng Shui, you can charge more!

Don't forget to dress in pastel colors, flow-ee type fabrics.... Getting real hyper/excited occasionally, and a little exasperated can add to the effect..... and price.

But, the super-cool sunglass effect is not bad, either.... Come with a change of clothes.....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

It's a lot like trigonometry and geometry. I've taught both and just called it shop math. It depends on who you are teaching. You can call it whatever you want. You cannot argue with the success of elimination of waste and continuous improvement as a perpetual strategy. In a production shop it's called doing your job. In a big company it's called Kaizen. If a company needs a motivational force in driving home Kaizen, specifically in machine shops where management doesn't really understand the processes enough to do it themselves, I call it "work". Just another of many services provided by Up and Running CNC Consulting.

Thankya, thankyaverymuch for the opportunity for a shameful plug.

Oh by the way, are you up to 3 minutes of push ups and 3 miles yet? Your check cleared and this is a follow up I do with all clients.

Remember P.V. you are only half the asshole you could be. Ask yourself "what could I do to improve my assholemanship in this situation". Then plan, execute, and evaluate. Keep exercising, planning, executing, evaluating, improving, more and more efficiently. Now get out there you lazy bastard! Win one for the Gipper!

Reply to
Bill

I did a 5 mile run in Nov/Dec, in one hour. Holy shit..... Hadda sleep for about 3 days after that....

I wonder how much my health is improved by one 5-mile run a year?

The new AA: Assaholics Anonymous.

But sheeit, you may be right about being an ever- greater asshole: Look at effingLimbaugh, and his $100 million/yr assaholic-icity.

Kaizen for me, btw, would be to just give my shit to someone who knows what they are doing. Man, ahm dyin over here....

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Sometimes you still have to pay for the castings that are out of spec anyway. So you may be throwing away money on those that don't make the grade. We have run into that on parts that are difficult to cast. You might be money ahead to save the bad castings and rework a bunch of them all at once. Only if you have to pay for the bad castings anyway.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.