3-in-1 lathe

Apologies if this is a very regular subject.

I run a small business and have often got stuck on simple projects because we don't have access to a small lathe/mill and companies around here and not interested in doing an odd piece of machining to a verbal spec.

The jobs are normally very simple in plastic, aluminium, copper, wood or steel, like fabricating a:

Tubular plastic casings (was milled from a 1.5" and 2" drain part coupling using a bench drill). Copper heat sink using water as a coolant (again used plumbing bits, lots of solder and filing) Copper cube to act as a heat conduit Coupling from aluminium (the commercial couplings don't fit the tubes we use, so we grind down the galvanised pipe to fit)

3m rod to hit into the ground (hard cone one end and threaded at the joints for disassembly)

Its not continuous work, some months we write software and it will sit there, other times it might do a job every day. At most we are talking 10 units all the same and items don't need to be more precise than about 0.2mm (8thou)

Given that we don't have a lot of room for machinery our choices appear to be:

1) Buy a mini lathe and mini milling machine that will fit onto the work bench and try to find someone to do larger pieces 2) Buy a three in one machine to do all the odd jobs that would take longer to explain than do ourselves. 3) Throw out the bench, buy a floor standing drill and buy a larger lathe with vertical milling attachment - and use the computer bench, drill stand or lathe bed for hammering bits and pieces into shape!!

Our budget is around £2000 ($3000) we want it to do at least a couple hundred jobs before it needs replacing.

Mike Haseler

P.S. I will of course be doing a few homers - like wood turning?

Reply to
Michael Haseler

About ten years ago I had to repair a riding mower (parts were no longer available) or buy a new one for a couple grand. I felt I would rather buy a lathe than a mower and fix the mower. I'd been wanting my own lathe for a looooooong time. I mentioned this to my neighbour who pulled out an experimental/homebuilt airplane mag and showed me a Smithy add. This would give me a lathe AND a mill for about what I expected to pay for a lathe. My wife pointed out that if we got the Smithy, I could go to a proffesional machine shop for the odd job that was too big/fine/accurate/whatever for my own machine. If this happened more than a couple of times, I could always sell the Smithy and get something bigger/better. I bought the Smithy in '91 or '92 (forget which) - haven't been to the pro shop yet. Numerous things have been improved on the machine. See Smithymods.txt at

I looked at several options before settling on the Smithy including both other imports and used "American iron". I have had experience with South Bend lathes. When I was a grad student in Physics, we were allowed access to the Physics Dept. workshop which, among other things, included three South Bend 9" lathes for student use. Not bad machines at all but I could do nothing on them that I cannot do on my Smithy. The converse is not true since, for just one thing, the South Bend chucks screw on to the spindle. As a result, running the machine in reverse is fraught with danger. (There are certain threading and machining operations where reverse running is a significant convenience.)

If you have lots of room and a big budget, separates are undoubtably better than a 3-in-1 for many tasks. Otherwise, a 3-in-1 from one of the better suppliers is a good option. Based on several years of experience with mine, I recommended Smithy to a good friend. He also has been well satisfied with his machine.

You can see some of my work in MWN and the dropbox. A few examples are

If you want any further details on my machine, its faults, its advantages and/or what I've done with it, contact me directley. I do not intend to waste my time in flame wars with idiots.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards