oxy-acetylene torch work surface

I'm getting started with a gas torch setup and am looking for ideas for a "temporary" type work surface I can use when brazing or welding. I don't have much room for a dedicated welding table. What's out there that I can put on my wood workbench when using the torch and can remove for storage later and where can I find it?

TIA, Ken

Reply to
Ken Ehlert

How about one of the insulating pads that go under wood heaters. Probably inquire at most any hardware store, Lowe's, etc.

This *may* be too flexible for some accurate work as it contains a tin type top, but has an insulating pad beneath it. The insulating pad may allow the metal covering to flex a little.

Al

===============

Ken Ehlert wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

For oxy-acet I prefer firebrick. Get the 4"x8" pieces about 1" thick.

3 or 4 pieces is plenty, available where ever then sell wood stoves and accessories. If you are working on a wood bench you may want to put down a automotive oil drip pan for a bit more protection. They sell some 24"x36" > I'm getting started with a gas torch setup and am looking for ideas for a
Reply to
RoyJ

2 folding sawhorses and a piece of 1/4" steel plate, or a folding work table and some steel or a Black+Decker Workmate with a piece of steel on top.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Been torch-welding for 30 years...

effort into a table. Rather, spend a few $ on a wide range of vice-grips. Get a pair of those big sheet-metal type, and a few regular sized (no rubber-grips). Collect cookie-sheets and other pots/pans your wife disposes of. These are good for heat-shields and also easily improvised for a work-surface when needed. Whenever you do need a flat surface the cookie-sheet (or any flat piece of steal that you can find) works with anything you can set it on. My favorite surfaces have been:

  1. Vice-grip to anything.
2.. a 2gal metal bucket (Maple-sap-type) with a cookie sheet on top. (good flat surface w/ water handy) - good for small-type projects
  1. a 55 gal drum (upside-down) - a couple of standart bricks on top (never needed the fire-brick-type but would grab one if I saw it).
  2. a square metal frame w/o a surface that I found curb-side (good for vice-gripping to).
  3. Jack-stands (w/ vice grips again).
  4. C-clamps. Not as good as vice-grips for little stuff, but for big stuff they might be - again project dependednt. Used the C-clamps more for bigger project such as a few truck-racks.
  5. "welder's magnets" - Maybe one or two - but again the big vice-grips can out do them forever. Maybe you can find some metal ones

- mine melted and cuaght fire cause they had a rubber outer-coating (guess they were for arc-welding). Happy welding! Elliott

Reply to
reitze

"Welder's Handbook" recommends using firebricks. They say avoid regular bricks b/c they 'may' explode when heated too far. I don't know the validity of this statement, but I'd use firebrick just in case.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I have a nice rolling work table with a formica-type top. The top is 3 feet wide and 4 feet long. We do a lot of sheet rock work (commercial 5/8 fire code rock). Whenever there is an appropriate scrap of rock, it gets cut and stacked in the rack. Throw it on the table top before welding/painting/etc. Change as required. That top is as pretty as the day we appropriated it off a desk that was being discarded.

DanG

Would Hardi-board or Wonder board work? This is the cement wallboard used as the wallboard in bathrooms...

Reply to
Emmo

Reply to
RoyJ

I have to agree with mike firebrick is the way to go. I have a small metal welding table that has a fire brick top. The bricks are loose so that i can wash off the excess flux.

Reply to
Matthew James Lewis

Reply to
reitze