need help tapping holes

John,

Still doesn't make any sense as to the thrust bearing where it concerns tapping out of a floating holder.

FWIW, we run a lyndex compression tapper having very light spring pressure in soft materials / small taps...conversely, usually use a bilz unit that's really stiff for larger taps in stuff like 4130 @ 42 rc

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I agree. Shit happens? This is AMC after all and things that work don't always make sense. I know you know that. LOL I repair/tune machines the way I shop. Something screwed up with Rigid tapping will lead to the replacement and or tuning of every component in the related system. Bearings, control params - everything. I hate it when CNC's don't do what they should and I'm not a great diagnostician. Plenty of other things to be aggravated with. A CNC milling machine shouldn't be one of them.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

We've been getting outside shops to drill and tap our die shoes when they do the 2d machining. I don't know if it was our engineering dept, our their machinists but...

Some die shoes came back with flat-bottom holes (exactly two nominal thread diameters deep), tapped right to the bottom, with the outline of the three flutes of the tap in chips at the bottom. I guess they were using three-flute spiral flute bottoming taps and actually bottoming them out on their machines. (I usually drill to 4x nominal diameter, tap to 3x, and the screw enters 2x). Of course, *I* had to drill them all deeper and tap deeper as we use standard screw lengths, and things don't always mesh. Great time-saving technique...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.