Rotary phase converter: local ground or all the way to the panel?

Suggest try Ebay...

Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT

Here's how to do the aluminum connections. First, do NOT nick the strands when stripping the insulation! The nicked strands break right off. Second, wire brush the bare wire with a stainless wirebrush. Aluminum oxide, unlike copper oxide is one of the best insulators known. Third, use an antioxidant compound, Penetrox is the brand we used to use. It is conductive, so don't get it on the insulation. Fourth, tighten the setscrews firmly. Fifth, and VERY important, tighten the setscrews again the next day. Aluminum creeps, and they will often be loose by the next day. Pretty stable after that, but checking once a year or so is just smart. Finally, aluminum connections come loose if they are overloaded, because the aluminum expands a lot and squeezes out like toothpaste. So don't be a cheap ass and overload it, use the right size.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

I'm not absolutely certain of the full nuances[+] of "plug connected device" w.r.t. CEC or NEC, but strictly speaking I don't think NEC or CEC applies in this case.

_However_, UL and CSA do. In particular, 2 two pin to 3 socket adapter (without GFCI) will not pass CSA, and is illegal to offer for sale in Canada. I do not believe such a device will pass UL either, but UL doesn't have power-of-law as CSA (or legislatively equivalent) does in Canada.

Conversely, if it has non-fraudulent UL or CSA markings on it, it will be legal unless overruled by local ordinance.

[+] I'm meaning edge-cases here. 2->3 plug adapters that simply make the third pin connect via pigtail to the outlet cover screw are illegal and covered by both NEC and CEC I believe. As the ground wire is screwed on, I think they're considered "permanent wiring". Or something. I dunno for sure. They're certainly illegal in Canada because they won't be granted CSA approval.
Reply to
Chris Lewis