Soluble cutting oil Vs Straight Cutting Oil

Hi All
We Have 6 Makino VMC's and are using Blaser's Blasocut 4000 Strong soluble cutting oil with DM water on all of them. We machine mostly Al
6061/7075. There are few parts with Titanium and more recently SS303 and SS316. Till date we are happy with the coolants performance. It gives excellent tool life and Surface finish. Life of coolant is also good as all our machines use Grease for lubrication and there is no mix up of oil in to the coolant. Only problem we have is of foaming which is easily controlled.
Now we are machining few SS303 components having small holes (0.5mm to 0.8 mm, 12mm deep). One problem we are facing is of tool life. It is inconsistant. Some drills gives 20 to 25 mins of cutting time and some drills break with in 10 mins of cutting. All drills are custom made from Guhring. Our customer is also doing these components on Makinos with same tools but with better results. Only difference is they are using stratght cutting oil.
So my question has any one used both?. Will it make any difference on tool life specifically on small tools?. Is it easy to handle. Can it work with Aluminium
Machine specs are BT40, 12000RPM, No thru spindle coolant.
Thanks
SKN

The best most expensive well maintained coolant isn't nearly as good as the cheapest cutting oil. Your results tool life, finishes plus the added benefit of not rusting your machine makes getting rid of the water soluble and replacing it with oil a no brainer. The best oil I have used is Hangstefers Hard Cut. Not only is it great for cutting but it smells good too.

You got that right that is the oil I use in all my CHC's & screw machines, never goes bad & keeps the machines nice & oiled. Makes a lot better tool life, finish in SS.

Put oil into one of them and use it for the SS jobs.

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 08:56:58 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"

That is what we were thinkng. But if a job has first operation running on machine with oil and then goes to machine with coolant, no matter how much you clean the component to remove oil it is bound to mix with coolant. We are worried it may spoil the coolant in no time.
Regards
SKN

As I see it, only two major possibilities here..
1 ) either it will be accepted by the water based coolant and serve to slightly increase the lubricity
2 ) or it will be rejected, slightly increasing tramp oil volume at the skimmer.
Most likely this will not cause any drag-out of the soluble oil esp since you are using DI.
That said, always be careful when using heavy cutting oils that have chlorine or sulfer additives as they can cause staining of certain metals.