Soluble v straight cutting oil in low humidity

Hi All,

I live in the AZ High Desert and it is very low humidity (a bit high at 31% at the moment) all year round. I have to replenish the water/ oil mix regularly as the water evaporates out pretty quickly. I was about to order some more soluble cutting oil and thought I would ask here first.

I am wondering if a straight cutting oil like Mobil 404 would last longer, maybe indefinitely. I mostly cut aluminum on mills and lathes so do not want any staining after machining.

Anyone have some low-cost favorite cutting oils?

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Do you have to replenish the water/oil, or do you just need to add distilled water to replace what was lost?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Hi Tim,

When the water evaporates it leaves a brown oil slick on the surface that really does not mix back in very well so I skim that off. I usually mix up a fresh gallon and pour it in the tank to make up the level.

Using distilled water is a bit extreme though???

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Is there a way to better seal the tank? My grinder has a 40 gal tank and I don't get any evaporation but we have to add a preservative or it gets stinky.

Reply to
Buerste

Hmm, not really the tank is pretty well sealed in the machine base, probably 30+ gallons. The evaporation must be happening on the table as that's the only time the fluid is exposed. The table drains have hoses that take it straight back to the sump. We almost never have overflowing into the base tray.

As for stinky, try using a fish-tank bubble from a pet store. It oxygenates the water and stops the bacteria stagnating. Have not had to use "the pill" for years.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Ayup. A cheap 110vt timer works great and you only need to run it about

3 hours a day in actuality. Timers are about $6 at Kmart etc etc if that much.

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Actually even 15 minutes per day solves the problem.

Ignoramus7608