Zenni again

I just got my new zenni order, and once again, they did great, for cheap. Threee pairs of glasses (two progressive and one single-vision)
for $102.45 including shipping. Last time I bought locally, I paid close to $600 for one pair.
I KNOW that my vision changes during the day, and I'm sure that my prescription isn't as "perfect" as it could be. I'd also like to customize my prescription for my various workstations. I know that can be done with math and a ruler, but I'd really like to be able to zero it in as close as possible. There was someone who posted here a while back that they had purchased a set of trial lenses and made their own prescriptions. I'm thinking I could do the same. Trial lens sets are about $200 on ebay
There is this set for $225 with 158 pieces: http://cgi.ebay.com/B-New-Trial-Lens-Set-158-Pcs-Metal-Shiny-Rim-/320562270960?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa30012f0
and this set for $325 with 226 pieces http://cgi.ebay.com/266-pcs-Metal-Rim-Lens-Set-Free-Trial-Frame-Br-New-/250665180195?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ccf1c23
my prescription falls into the lower range of diopters, so the extra lenses wouldn't make a difference for me right now, but I wonder whether it's penny wise and pound foolish to get the smaller set.
OR, there is this set with 232 pieces but in plastic rims for $225 http://cgi.ebay.com/B-New-Trial-Lens-Set-232-Pcs-Plastic-Shiny-Rim-/320562271602?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3001572
So, my questions are:
Is there anything wrong with using the plastic rims (remember I'm only going to use these a few times a year), or are the metal rims way better (that's the metal content to keep on-topic) ?
Does it make sense to buy the larger set?
If I do this for myself and for my wife a couple of times, the cost of the lenses will be covered by what we would have paid at the eye doctor in insurance copays. I'm thinking that with our current prescriptions to get into the ball park, I ought to be able to dial it in better than the doctor did. Is this a truly goofy idea, or am I likely to be successful in getting a better prescription?
rangerssuck wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/B-New-Trial-Lens-Set-158-Pcs-Metal-Shiny-Rim-/320562270960?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa30012f0
http://cgi.ebay.com/266-pcs-Metal-Rim-Lens-Set-Free-Trial-Frame-Br-New-/250665180195?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ccf1c23
http://cgi.ebay.com/B-New-Trial-Lens-Set-232-Pcs-Plastic-Shiny-Rim-/320562271602?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aa3001572
do you only get a prescription at the eye doctor? they're supposed to do a complete eye exam, which you still would need to pay a copay for. the cost of a glass prescription is minimal.

They do a complete exam, and the prescription is, indeed, part of that, but my concern is that the testing is done in their office under their lighting conditions at their time of day on their day of the week. I know for sure that my vision changes through the day, and varies depending on how much sleep I've had and who-knows-what other factors. If I could check my eyes on my own schedule at my own location, I THINK I could get a better result.
Interestingly (or really annoyingly), my previous insurance carrier would only pay for the medical part of the examination and not the refraction (prescription) part. I had to pay separately, about $30 for that.
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:13:05 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

<snip> Try contacting Zinni customer service with your standard prescription, and include your work station distances. They were able to custom tailor both reading and computer glasses that are ideal for me. Because of the price difference you may want to avoid progressives/bifocals and simply get multiple glasses. Another thing to consider is tint for extensive computer use and/or if you are use fluorescent task lighting. I find that their 50% yellow [about like holochrome shooting glasses] is good for both reading and computer, and their 50% pink/rose is very good for extended computer usage [crt color monitor] under fluorescent light. For extended or hot environment wear you may also want to consider frames with a "saddle bridge" in place of the regular nose pads. I find these much more comfortable. One poster indicated that Zinni would fit a saddle bridge for 3.00$US to any of their frames, but when I asked about this on my last order [about 6 weeks ago] only the frames with saddle bridges show were so available.
Contact Zinni customer service by email at snipped-for-privacy@zennioptical.com Att: ZOCS: AJ
For people that feel bad about buying Chinese rather than American products, be advised that most frames sold in the U.S. are made in China even the high line designer frames through the up-market chains. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704518904575365362932852610.html
-- Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:18:04 -0500, F. George McDuffee

I got -real- lenses in my glasses, not progressives.

I just received my Zenni order having broken my always-on pair of bifocals. I ordered a pair of bifocals with 10% gray tinting, an extra frame ($4), the polarized clip-on sunglasses for those, and a set of bifocals for my computer. I wanted larger frames but Zenni's software wouldn't allow it with my 62mm PD. Other than that slight change, I'm satisfied by Zenni for the third time. Total for the order, delivered, was $74 and change. It took just under 2 weeks to get them. I checked at Wallyworld and their optical department wanted me to pay either $262 or $375 for the same setup, the higher price being for slightly higher index lenses. GFY, Sam.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

I started with progressives a kong time ago. A few years ago, I tried regular bifocals and simply could not get used to them, Different strokes,
After reading the discussions about bi-focals versus progressive lenses I thought I'd try a pair of computermonitor/reading bi-focals. Got them this week from <optical4less> in Hong Kong; wish I'd tried them sooner; they're SO much better than progressives for computer use and reading. Thanks for the tip, guys!
--
Chris Holford

On 7/22/2010 4:41 AM, rangerssuck wrote:

I was delighted with my Zenni glasses but I put them in the car for backup anyway.
I didn't check the 'frame width' number and ended up with a too narrow frame. The temples splay outward to get around my fat noggin. I guess they have those numbers there for a reason, huh? :)
Next time I shall measure one of my 'comfortable' frames and use those numbers to select the new ones.
--Winston

Zenni tends to have glass frames that are fine for Ornamentals <G> or women. I have a "normal" face..and found the first set to be a bit narrow.
Gunner
wrote the following:

So solly!

Zenni has a much wider (double entendre intentional) selection of frames now. I got 4190 and 4513 frames, both 142mm wide. I think that earlier frame selections only went to 125 or 130mm. Now they go to 145.
Check 'em out, Mr. Chitlin.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:14:18 -0700, Larry Jaques

Ahhhzo......I will do exactly that Good Sir.
Gunner

I went with 414812 frames: 141mm wide, but with a bridge 21mm wide. The reason for the wide bridge is that for the 15 or so years that I've been wearing progressives, EVERY one of them sat too high on my face. That forces me, when I want to focus all the way out, to tip my head forward and look up through the lens. Now, with the wider bridge, I can adjust the nose pads so that looking straight ahead points my eyes through the longer distance part of the lens. What a difference.
wrote the following:

My second last pair of glasses is now in the truck as backups, as is my pair with the broken lens. That's what gloveboxes are for, non?

Ayup. I rectum so, sir.

Go into any optical frame store and try some on. Once you find one that looks/feels good, note the frame width, temple length, bridge width, and lens dimensions. Ask for your PD. Some slower stores are bored and will check it just for something to do.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On 7/23/2010 7:59 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

(...)
I've got 3 or 4 old pair around here that fit fine, so I'm covered. I measured PD myself using my dial calipers. Ouch! No, really.
I focused on a distant street light and held the 'inside' anvils in front of my pupils. I could dial them in until I could see both (admittedly fuzzy) anvil edges with the street light in focus.
Quick metric conversion and I wrote the number down. Glasses worked great!
--Winston
wrote the following:

Hayseuss Crisco, Winnie. You're as che^H^H^Hfrugal and A/R as I am.
-- Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions, without which the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
On 7/24/2010 3:57 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
(...)

One cannot hope for finer praise.
--Winston
wrote the following:

!@#$%^&*() You owe me a keyboard and monitor.
-- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed. -- Kin Hubbard
On 7/25/2010 5:59 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

With your efficiency and attention to detail and my good looks we shall go far. (If I wasn't so ugly.)
--Winston
Larry Jaques wrote:

Come by in a big truck and I'll give you 100 of each.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Anyone wanting to run for any political office anywhere probably shouldn't have political office, any political office, anywhere. :)