End Mill regrinding

I am slightly confused. Please forgive me. Are "tool and cutter grinders" used to sharpen spiral fluted endmills?

Ignoramus32324

Yes

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Hey Iggy,

Yes, but you'll probably want an air spindle to make it easy to do.

Brian Lawson

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Yes

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ive got one on my KO Lee B300

Along with a few other goodies.

?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335cae29b9
?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item35a8d1b296 Not that I have a clue how to use most of the above....but they tossed em in when they gave me the KO Lee, after they got the new CNC grinding machine

Though you can get by with other fixtures...

?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414c6e6f5d

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'm slightly confused too. Are you asking about buying a T&C grinder or resharpening your end mills?

You can grind the cutting edges on end mills, taps, reamers and horizontal milling cutters reasonably well on a standard surface grinder with simple fixtures.

Grinding the end makes little difference, but if you sharpen the spiral flutes you have to measure, record and adjust for the reduced diameter, or use them for roughing cuts and the first pass on slots.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

That is a yes as long as you have the right tooling. I've sharpened a bunch by only doing the ends using a fairly cheap fixture from Enco.

The end of a end mill cuts no matter now deep you go so the flutes may be good if you grind the end mill back and sharpen the end.

This is a time and money thing. So far, other than the cheapy enco fixture I use to salvage the low hanging fruit so to say, I just buy replacements as I wear end mills out. I don't even own a surface grinder, I use uncles old rockwell surface grinder. The type that has a round post and bronze bearings.

Make sure you are not getting into false economy by spending money on a grinder and accessories that will cost more than you would spend on new end mills.

Now if you get a smoking deal like you tend to do, well, if you get bored with it, you can get your money back. I'm sure you know how to.

I've heard he who dies with the most toys wins but I tend to think he who played with the most toys won.

Wes

Wes

Those, straight fluted ones, reamers, conventional mills (wheels) and all kinds of other things.

They can also be used to profile a conventional mill to product a specific shape and angle should you need to do a lot of parts. It saves you having to set up the workpiece at a strange angle each time.

I wish that I had one. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols