Stainless tapping w/synthetic coolant?

What is the skinny on this? I have heard a few things recently, ranging from: --OK to use TIN coated roll taps in 300 series w/synthetic coolants.
to: --Forget about tapping 300 series, cut or roll, unless you are using emulsion, oil, or if you provide for tapping fluid to be applied to the tap just before tapping. Assuming rigid tapping, I'd like to get some feedback on this. Up to this point we have been applying tapping fluid to the tap, but I'd like to get away from that if possible. We have tried the "Oily" but there is general agreement that the cycle time is actually longer than if you put in an M00 & apply manually (assuming a reasonably attentive operator!). I am dealing with lots of threads 10-32 and under. There is an M4 x .3 (yes .3) in a 303 casting that is especially troublesome. Thank you all in advance, -plh
--
I keep hitting "Esc" -- but I'm still here!

I do it every day with water soluble oil on the tapping center and Hangsterfers Hardcut 5258 light on our swiss machines, tin coated HSS roll taps in 316L