WTB: Small VMC/HMC and small turning center

Looking to buy an older, smaller CNC VMC/HMC machining center and a small CNC lathe / turning center. Open to older machines or possibly dead/non-working units or units that people have decomissioned due to newer hardware. I've been offered a few bigger machines for free, but can't fit them in my shop, and wife certainly won't agree to them :-)

Thanks!

Reply to
rpseguin

I don't have one for sale and don't know where to get one, but, just out of curiosity what is your definition of a small HMC?

Dave G.

Dave Gee

Begs the question...

Why ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Yes, Why. I noticed your handle changed back to Machinist. Why.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

To make parts for some of my projects. Why not? I have access to a friend's VMCs, but then I have to drive to them, disrupt whatever setup he has, ... and it is sporadic if he has something he has to get done. Would prefer to have my own machines and control my own process.

Thanks.

-Ralph

Precisi> > Looking to buy an older, smaller CNC VMC/HMC machining center and a

Reply to
rpseguin

:-) Well put. I've seen some smaller ones that one could call "cute" compared to the full-sized machines, but I agree, there are almost no small ones.

Reply to
rpseguin

If you're serious, I believe the first step would be to find out what Gunner drinks and send him a case. He surely knows all the usual suspects on the left coast...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Just because.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

Helps to define the work class, machine envelope, etc.

Fwiw, manual machines are often more productive than cnc where short runs and one-off's are concerned.

Generally much less expensive to purchase and maintain too.

Reply to
PrecisionMechanicaL

PrecisionMechanicaL wrote: snaip

Yeah.... I kinda have to disagree with you a little bit on that one. A lot of what I do is one off's, yet the dusty old Bridgeport is pretty much just a drill press these days....

A decent CNC control and some experience with CAD/CAM, you'll never want go back to crankin handles.

Yup. And shorter learing curve. So it just depends on what your looking to do with it.

Reply to
Polymer Man

How DARE you to disagree with ME !!!

We pretty much sold all ours off about six years ago....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

As it happens, I have a couple of 'small' HMC's - but it is pretty relative. HMCs, to be effective, need more tool holders ie 40-50 (if they have pallet changers) and competent controls to manage everything (i80, Fan 11-15 Maz-32 - min.). Even the smallest HMC I have has nearly 1.5 (per cubic envelope) the footprint of my largest VMC (in area, compressed air and general electrical requirements). I once looked at an Ex-Cell-o HMC that was a bit smaller than what I have (Toyodas) but it had some pretty bad limitations on pallet handling and 4th axis capability. I also looked at some Mazak products (Super 400/550-H) that were dimensionaly small but horribly expensive in both price/power consumption and maintinence. I would really be interested in seeing what "small" HMCs are out there. I think they are very few. For anything but high production, VMC is the best choice IMHO, look for an unmolested small, Bostomatic. Retrofit - rinse - (expand shop) - repeat, just my .02.

Dave G.

Dave Gee

I have been looking too, and from what I can gather, the price range is still pretty darn high- A bridgeport style, open machine, 2 axis CNC, usually 15 to 25 years old, is gonna run 5 grand to 10 grand in running condition, with no tool changer, and controls that came over on the mayflower.

A real VMC, even a small one, like a 20" x 16" machine, starts at 10 grand, used. And that will get you a mid 80's machine, with not a lot of memory, very old communication protocols, and an ancient controller.

20 grand and up for something relatively modern, and ready to run, and thats for either an older 20 x 40, or a newer smaller one.

CNC lathes seem to be cheaper- lots of very usuable ones in the 12 to

20 grand range.
Reply to
rniemi

Got a nice precision Bostomatic 12G VMC (graphite and light metals, vending machine size) coming in soon. Will be priced around 50 grand or so. Mfg in 2000. This is a 1G machine. As new this was a $150K machine.

gary

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
g-a-r-y