[OT] - Embedded Controls Class in Portland, OR

I hope to be teaching a course at OIT's Hillsboro campus on automatic control systems. It's aimed at embedded software engineers, and will be
a course in basic practicalities. If you're interested, there's a link at the bottom of this page to OIT's meager information, and a link to the course syllabus.
The class meets eleven or twelve times, at OIT's Hillsboro campus, on Thursday nights from 6:00 to 9:00. It's good for college credit, and if I succeed at all it's be full of good, practical information for the embedded systems engineer who needs to close control loops.
I need four more students to register, so if you're interested, please register, and keep the class alive!
http://www.wescottdesign.com/oit/cst407/syllabus http://www.oit.edu/Default.aspx?DN )70%2C2969%2C2652%2C1%2CDocuments&ADXSTUDIO.Form=CourseSearcher&Prefix=CST&Level@0%7C499&Term 0603&Campus=Portland&x4&y=6
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi, Tim. That's a bit of a drive. Time in class is about 3 hours, I see. I have a profoundly autistic daughter and this may be more refresher than anything, so it may not be in the cards, but what's the actual cost here and what day does it start? Do I read things correctly to see that there are 2 students currently signed up?
Jon
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

-- snip --

It's going to be quite a drive for me, too. Normally it'll be from Oregon City, but on the first day I'm going to be coming off of giving 7.5 hours of courses at the Embedded Systems Conference including one Thursday morning, then hopping on a plane and flying up to PDX just in time to drive to Beaverton. If it doesn't kill me, it'll make me strong.
There's a fee schedule at: http://www.oit.edu/Default.aspx?DN0782,30774,30764,2652,1,Documents . If I'm reading it right it should be pretty reasonable.
You'll need to fill out a "Non-Admit" application form, http://www.oit.edu/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID )99,2668,2,1,Documents&MediaIDa1&Filename=nonadmit.pdf, and bring or send it to the office manager at the Metro campus on Harmony road, then you'll need to register. The FAX number there is 503-725-5925. The rest of the contact info is at http://www.oit.edu/default.aspx?DNg69,4503,1,Documents .
Note that I haven't told you how to register: That's because I have yet to find out. I'll follow up when I know.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

I've updated the syllabus with the information you need to register, including a registration form that's pre-filled for the class so you can just print them out, fill them in, and fax them to the Metro campus.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Thanks. I note that you say "Class calander will follow the OIT schedule of classes." However, I'm still unaware of that schedule and didn't see an 'easy' click to get it from the other OIT page you mentioned. You mentioned the embedded conference, and I suppose I could go research that and take your other comment to infer the right data here, but it's easier for me to just ask you. What's the schedule? And what's the cost for 3 credits to a non-admitted student living in Oregon? (I can figure the book cost.) It's not clear from your response or OIT's page you mentioned. Since you are selling this class, I hope you don't mind me just asking you directly what you know on that score.
Jon
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

Jon:
Thank you for your patience. I am laboring under the dual burden of trying to get this up in a hurry, and doing so while still recovering from a weird cold/flue thing. When your core temperature is 102, details can slip by more easily than normal.
Once again, I have updated the Syllabus to reflect your comments. I've explicitly stated the start and end dates, I've included a link to the academic calendar that may even still be good 10 minutes from now (it's _long_), and I've included the price that the Admin at the Metro campus quoted me.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

This quote from the fee schedule is pretty interesting: "Per-credit hour: no charge. Senior citizens are persons age 65 or older. Such persons are authorized to attend classes on a space-available basis. Charges for special materials, if any, are additional. Incidental fee privileges are not provided. The senior-citizen privilege is extended to persons auditing classes (not seeking credit or working toward a degree)."
Especially the last sentence. Does that really mean no fees if people don't need the credit?
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:47:10 GMT, Joerg

Wow! That sounds interesting. The problem is, I'm sure Tim needs PAYING customers to keep the class open. Audits, if non-paying, won't help.
Jon
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

And I am very certain Tim's class will be worth the money. Almost everyone could use a refresher in control theory. It's just way too far away from here.
Maybe I am wrong but I don't think the remuneration at a place like OIT is dependent on the number of "full fare" participants. It's usually just that the whole class is cancelled if there aren't enough takers. That's how it was in Europe. Haven't held any classes here so I am not sure.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
I wish such courses were available in online lecture format. I'd take them if they were.
Few people have the time to go miles and miles here and there when they are holding down a day job.
Joerg wrote:

That's the deal here -- if fewer than six sign up, then the class gets canceled. I haven't been told so, yet I'm sure they mean paying customers.
But hey! I just noticed that I'm up to three -- that's half of what I need, and the class has only been posted for a little over a week. At this rate I'll squeak by.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Just an idea for future classes: Post direct links to some of your articles like "PID without a Ph.D.". That waters their mouths and then they realize that "this guy knows what he's talking about". Academians often long for lectures with lots of down-to-earth practical advice. At least I did, but at our university that was hard to come by. We were mostly pelted with theory about the Luenberger observer, the umpteenth pole-zero study, Maxwell and all that.