Re: Relevance of .NET in controls?

I'm wondering whether it would be worth my time to

> get up to speed in .NET/C#/VB.NET. Right now I'm > doing primarily Windows C++ development for test > tools, vision systems, user interfaces. > > Is there a consensus how .NET will affect the controls > world, specifically in manufacturing automation?

IMHO, .NET won't change things much at all (eg. IPv6 will have a greater impact than .NET) - the usual comms methods and protocols remain unchanged, it's just that connectivity gets a bit easier for Windoze users at the MIS level.

But by all means, get up to speed with it. In the fast-paced world of industrial automation, things are changing all the time. Linux is a real threat though - just ask the AutomationX guys!

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough