Stupid Question-- Why not Open-loop?

Paul E. Bennett wrote:

Sure, Paul, but while that's important for technical analysis, it's not very useful for ordinary discourse. The question of whether a rowboat is an open- or closed-loop device shouldn't even come up.
Jerry

Back in the day, we had a lab where we turned a pot to keep a line on a grass chart recorder on zero in the presence of disturbances. Gain and delay were changed in "secret" ways to show us how easy it was to go unstable.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Ever seen the video of the early Raptor tests?
Be well,
HoP
The preceding message represents personal opinions and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not. Feel free to disregard.
------- Words have no Warranty ------ ------- No View without Merit ------

'open
loop
I don't think it was mere quibbling about a definition, and I don't think it was even about the difference between open loop and closed loop. I was trying to give examples that would sound immediately like open loop. It was intended to be about the overlooking of things that are open loop control. I would think there are many examples of open loop control around that people don't think of as 'open loop control', maybe because they hardly think of them as controlled, or maybe because they hardly think of them at all.
operator jay wrote:

According to the discussion that you don't think is quibbling, any intentional corrective (or disruptive!) action isn't open loop because the intender closes the loop. If you buy the quibbles.
Jerry