Stupid Question-- Why not Open-loop?

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:51:52 -0500, Jerry Avins proclaimed to the world:

Yes that was the other side of the argument. I've have no stand on this yet so I will be happy to argue either side.;-]

Be well,

HoP

The preceding message represents personal opinions and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not. Feel free to disregard.

------- Words have no Warranty ------ ------- No View without Merit ------

Reply to
HoPpeR© trading at 1492¥

The first thing to realise about a system is where the boundaries are going to be. Until you have defined the boundaries of the system you cannot analyse the system for open or closed loop behaviour. Draw the boundaries in a different place and the whole aspect of the system can be changed.

The message is, draw the boundary appropriately, ensure you specify the boundary conditions properly and be mindful of the limiting conditions of imposing such a boundary.

Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Sure, Paul, but while that's important for technical analysis, it's not very useful for ordinary discourse. The question of whether a rowboat is an open- or closed-loop device shouldn't even come up.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

I don't think it was mere quibbling about a definition, and I don't think it was even about the difference between open loop and closed loop. I was trying to give examples that would sound immediately like open loop. It was intended to be about the overlooking of things that are open loop control. I would think there are many examples of open loop control around that people don't think of as 'open loop control', maybe because they hardly think of them as controlled, or maybe because they hardly think of them at all.

operator jay

According to the discussion that you don't think is quibbling, any intentional corrective (or disruptive!) action isn't open loop because the intender closes the loop. If you buy the quibbles.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins