90 amps for electric car charge!

Bob F wrote:

I used to work as a programmer for a company that monitored electric loads for smaller power companies, typically Rural Electric Cooperatives. One of the selling points of our software was the administrators would be better able to correct transformer loading. One director told our sales representative:
"What's to monitor? If a transformer blows, we replace it with a bigger one. End of story."

Well the batteries will last longer at a lower charge rate, given that's the bulk of the vehicle cost, there's plenty of incentive for educated owners to charge at a rate only as high as they need. That of course makes the big assumption that a lot of people count as educated.
On 2/15/2010 7:16 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net spake thus:

This point can't be emphasized enough, as it's true that the pinhead media always seems to get this one wrong and leaves the mistaken impression that "green" electric cars run on pixie dust or some such.
Just last night I heard a local news report about recovering methane from landfills for use as fuel. While this is a good thing overall, the stupid reporter (or editor) got away with saying that this would reduce carbon dioxide emissions! Of course this is totally untrue: while the methane would be captured instead of simply venting to the atmosphere, the carbon dioxide would be released later when it was burned. All that's being done is delaying the release of the CO2. Sheesh; are we *really* that much a nation of idiots?
Now, you and I are on opposite sides of this debate in lots of ways concerning the overall viability of renewable energy, nuclear power, etc. But I agree 100% with you here. Such stupid oversights on the part of the media (and even on the part of some who promote green energy) can only set things back.

- a Usenet "apology"

I agree. Electric cars are perfectly viable as second cars in a two car family.
For many it would also be viable to use one to commute to work. Many people commute less than 30 miles and the car sits idle all day in the car park.
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:51:43 -0000, "Cwatters"

When we were younger, out "second car" was an old version of the "first car". IOW, we kept the old one. Now they're quite different vehicles (one car, one truck) for different purposes, in addition to commuting. A "second car" costing as much as an electric car is a non-starter.

If you're foolish enough to buy an *expensive* new car as just a commuter.