Adapt a UK lamp for US home

Help... My wife purchased a beautiful lamp on Ebay, but didn't realize it made for UK electrical system -- we're in the USA. What do I need to use the lamp? The folks at my local hardware store were no help at all.

The plug on the lamp says: "13AMP 250V" and looks like this:

Also, what kind of bulb do I need? The lamp says: "R50, 25W Max, 0.2M"

Thanks

Reply to
fss

chop the plug off... stick a US plug on the end

Brown = Hot Blue = Neutral Green/Yellow = Ground

Fitting is rated to 25W so stick a lamp in to suit. R50 i think is a Small Edison Screw lamp ie SES ?

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

if you are not comfortable with replacing the plug or feel it would reduce the collectors value you could go with a "travel adaptor" such as seen here

TimPerry

Super. I can get it plugged in now. Is there a US-equivelent to an SES bulb? Is there some sort of conversion matrix available, or do I just need to start screwing in bulbs until one works? :)

Reply to
fss

you are mis reading the amperage... its probably 0.13 amps at

230 volts... 13 amps at that voltage will run a good sized central AC unit.

Put a plug on it that will fit your 110 wall outlet, be sure you have the ground connected propertly.

read the directions on the cord cap box...

Remove the bulb and fit a 110 rated one in the same socket... or use an adapter to fit.

(The wire that goes to the socket where the bulb screws in, the screw threaded part of its.. (where the liht bulb screws in) should go to the widest blade on your new cord cap.

or take the thing to an electrical wholesale house and beg... someone will help you.

Phil Scott

Reply to
Phil Scott

The 13 Amps on the plug is the max rating of the plug. (Standard UK plug). If you had any understanding of electricity you would know the amperage absolutely depends on the ratings of the bulb, not the plug.

Reply to
John G

If it's just a bulb, switch and wires (not fluorescent or anything like that), cut the end of the cord off and put on a standard US 120V plug (NEMA 5-15P). Plug it in, turn it on. It won't be very bright at half the voltage, though. Or you could use a dryer plug and plug it in your laundry room. Or you could get a 120/240 volt control transformer from any industrial electrical supply house; you would probably have to crochet a decorative cover for it to match your living room.

Reply to
gnoge

SES is also known as E14, a 14mm diameter edison screw. R50 is a 50mm diameter reflector lamp. Use of a non- reflector lamp might overheat the fitting.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel